Our client in the Energy industry is seeking a writer for a temporary assignment. This person will need to sit onsite in the office in Surrey, BC.
The candidate will perform the following:
1. Develops and writes copy for print and radio advertising material, websites, newsletters, brochures and other print pieces, and other communications/advertising materials produced for the FortisBC group of companies.
2. Assesses topic and audience for preparation of presentation.
3. Liaises with Communications Coordinator, Communication Manager(s) and clients in other departments to assess writing and research needs.
4. Determines what research if any, is necessary to achieve the final written product.
5. Researches and verifies information for topics and issues, using credible sources such as other corporations, personal interviews, Statistics Canada, industry associations and others.
6. Applies critical and strategic thought to the development of materials and independently determines appropriate messages for assignments.
7. Works with the Designer to create concepts that address and contribute to achieving advertising and marketing objectives.
8. Writes in a clear, concise style (FortisBC voice) suitable for marketing materials or public information materials.
9. Edits and rewrites copy in accordance with client changes, corporate style and standards and space limitations.
10. Contributes to
a. a research and sources database for marketing communications and
b. a central reference source for FortisBC’s writing style.
11. Performs duties of a minor nature related to the above duties which do not affect the rating of the job.
Diploma in English, Communications, Journalism, Professional Writing or equivalent education.
Two years directly relevant work experience.
Demonstrated ability to generate original concepts and ideas, given strategic direction.
Portfolio which demonstrates talent and ability
a. in a wide range of written materials which include: print ads, brochures, radio ads, newletters, and websites; and
b. to write for different audiences and meet different objectives (e.g. formal corporate writing in annual report vs. short, motivating copy in promotional ad)
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to work as part of a team.
Demonstrated ability to work quickly under frequent pressure against tight deadlines.
Demonstrated ability to take direction from several individuals, and adapt to a constantly changing, fast-paced environment.
Intermediate level of computer literacy including Microsoft Word. Possesses fast and accurate keyboard skills.