Senior UX Engineer (Front End)
Full time, perm
Onsite in Watertown, MA
The roles are onsite full time, but we will emphasize that we are a flexible environment when it comes to appointments and things and needing to be home around those times. There is also a free shuttle service I'd like to highlight– picking up regularly in Harvard Square, Back Bay, Southie, and now in Cleveland Circle and Waverly station off the commuter rail. It is also only a few miles to bike there along the Charles, too!
The client is seeking a Senior Front End Developer to create beautiful user interfaces for web and mobile applications. You could be a designer who wields code to fully realize their vision or a developer who can imagine the interactions needed to implement a design straight from concept. You know how to synthesize the vision of designers and with the practicalities of engineering to create a maintainable product with the best user experience.
The Senior Manager, Front End Developers, at athenahealth are influential members of cross-functional scrum teams helping to establish the design and technical direction of user interfaces for concepts as well as production release. This person acts as the primary technical point of execution on large, complex projects, as a contributor and leader. They guide UX and development staff utilizing software engineering principles to realize maintainable and scalable designs. He/she will analyze, recommend and implement front-end design processes for both platform and large, strategic product initiatives.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
50% [Primary Function] Lead large scale projects that require building a new front-end for athena products and platform
• Analyze, recommend and implement user interface frameworks, while also working to build re-usable user interface components on a variety of projects
• Set-up file, template and CSS structure, and ensure compatibility with development environment
• Establish processes for moving from design, to prototype, through front-end production coding
• Build effective, collaborative working relationships with the program strategy, design, and development teams in the collaborate project environment
• Formalize work and processes that support transferring engineering work to dedicated, full-stack project level development teams
• Research, understand, and apply current and relevant best practices for front end engineering to products
25% – Project management and scrum team guidance
• Ability to decompose a large scale user interface build strategy into several release phases.
• Create, track, and communicate project scheduling to the team.
• Provide mentorship to team members; lead by example; encourage sharing.
• Be a primary stakeholder in establishing product and technical roadmaps.
25% - Promote, curate, and improve design systems
• Advocate scaling product development through the use of reusable design elements.
• Look for alignment across products’ design components and work with stakeholders to unify user experiences
• Identify and create guidance for designers and developers that address common product design problems beyond the individual component level.
• Collaborate with UX design to identify and codify new design patterns; communicate changes to the team.
• Improving the utility of the design system and the UI design/development process.
MORE IMPORTANT/RELEVANT INFO:
- The role is a new position / opening within the UX department
- Traditionally, their development has been mostly full stack - more of a pivot towards FED in R+D overall within UX organization
- Design and development skills, build their front ends is the way they’re moving now
- Ideal person, has design background, understands language of design on web and applications
- Have implemented things in full stack manner
- Minimum have to have development experience - interactions, design languages
- Front end frameworks - more on dev side. On UX side, looking for more folks into prototyping, exploratory concepts, who have ability to bring experience of implementing at that release level - career wise, goals wise, is the user experience side. Design and build them.
- Evaluate the right set of tools the CTO wants
- Have the ability to learn, evaluate technologies
- On the team there would be 3 official members: a Senior Associate, a Manager, and this new opening
- They aren’t looking for the hands down coder - the role is an individual contributor
- It’s crucial they’re onsite in the office for the first 6 months at least - they’re flex after that within reason
Education, Experience, & Skills Required:
• BA/BS required. Focus in Computer Science, Human Computer Interaction, Interaction Design preferred, or equivalent industry experience
• 6+ years of experience developing web user interfaces
• Ability to organize CSS for scalable reuse with Less or Sass preprocessors.
• Experience with web architectures: REST, MVC, Single Page Applications, web services
• Experience with CSS frameworks such as Foundation or Bootstrap
• Ability to create data models for views
• Object-oriented API design for UI components; development methodology, events, and theming framework.
• Worked with server side platforms such as NodeJS, ASP.NET MVC, JSP, or PHP
• Fluency in user experience design principles for web.
• Desktop and mobile web cross-browser / cross-platform implementation experience
• Version control experience (Perforce or Git)
• Experience writing technical documentation (code comments, API docs, UI implementation guidance)
• Experience with low fidelity design tools such as Balsamiq or Axure
• Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Sketch or equivalent bitmap/vector design packages preferable
Behaviors & Abilities Required:
• Influence leaders
• Establish and communicate long-term vision, and define steps to get there
• Deep overall technical expertise, and understanding of current technical challenges specific to our products
• Facilitate discussions between cross-functional stakeholders
• Switch between hands-on coding work and working on high level strategy
• Prioritize creating user interfaces that are elegant to behold for the user and elegant to maintain.
• Achieve success through a spirit of cooperation and compromise with development, design, and business.
• Strong ability to explain interaction designs to developers, business, designers, and other stakeholders using audience appropriate methods.
• Provide design and engineering contributions and leadership to overcome UI technical hurdles to achieve the best user facing solution.
• Ability to own work, self-direct and mentor other members of the team
• Be able to articulate the value of the designing to the strengths of the web medium to designers.
• Be able to articulate the value of the additional effort a quality design often demand
- Phone interview with HR
These job descriptions are examples. Looking for work?Find JobsFind Jobs
Senior UX Engineer (Front End)