Our client is looking to recruit a talented UX designer to join the to join the design studio that has a focus on developers. These UX Designers are responsible for designing how users interact with our software products. UX designers are expected to design user flows all the way down to the fine details like exception handling and individual UI widgets, working with guidance and feedback from Senior UX designers and Design Managers.
Due to the nature of the developer tool products, UX designers need to be capable of understanding complex and technical systems and services and be able to distil this complexity into appropriately clean, simple, understandable, and opinionated user interfaces that place the user’s needs at the core of the design.
As a UX Designer the successful candidate will be at home tackling the UX design of projects all the way from initial brief writing and requirements capture through to assisting engineering with implementation and iteratively evolving the design. They will have experience of at working closely with stakeholders, visual designers, user researchers, developers and other UX designers to both improve existing product areas and bring exciting new projects to life.
The person we are looking for will be a strong communicator, able to share their insight with both stakeholders and other members of the design team. Designing the UX of software development tools requires a practical hands-on understanding of software development, so at some point in your life you must have written code, whether it was part of a job, a hobby or during education.
If you are passionate about improving the software development user experience, and love discussing technology and software development as much as you love discussing design, this is the perfect job for you.
As a user experience designer, you will:
- Capture project design requirements from Product Managers, Engineers and User Researchers, distill into a design brief and then agree the brief with all stakeholders.
- Utilize their expertise in UX design thinking to delve deeply into problems and find the best solutions that meet both user needs and business objectives.
- Provide sketches, wireframes, information architectures, prototypes, user flows (use cases, activity diagrams), state matrix’s and non-functional specifications for visual designers and implementation teams as appropriate.
- Clearly and systematically manage design scope in a timely fashion to facilitate progress and ensure that delivered designs are implementable within given time and resource constraints.
- Collaborate with User Research and Testing to design solutions to fulfill user needs or gaps that have been identified.
- Review and validate work with peers, stakeholders and users throughout the UX design process, maintaining constant and open communication with key team members
- Pitch design solutions to stakeholders, explaining and rationalizing design decisions to non-design audiences.
- Work with developers to iterate on designs during implementation.
- Maintain an open communication channel with developers and ensure products are delivered to a high standard.
- Continually watch for and identify ways to improve and evolve the design process and communication with groups outside the design team.
- Prioritize and work in an agile, iterative way.
Key competencies and role essentials:
- Demonstrated experience designing software product UX in an iterative development environment.
- Lateral problem-solving skills.
- Needs to be able to identify possible solutions that are outside of the obvious design space.
- Ability to clearly and succulently present UX design concepts and explain UX design thinking to non-design stakeholders
- A good understanding of UX design patterns.
- MUST HAVE EXPERIENCE DESIGNING ENTERPRISE, DEVELOPER, OR TECHNICAL DESKTOP APPS.
Basic qualifications and experience:
- Minimum 3 years’ experience as a User Experience Designer working on software products.
- Desirable Qualification and Experience:
- Background in software engineering, must have written code at some point as part for your career, hobbies or education.
- Familiarity with Kanban, Lean or Agile development methodologies.
- Strong portfolio of UX design work demonstrating expertise with a wide range of UX design techniques.
- Experience working client side as a UX designer on products at a software development company (not only agency experience)