Designers for our client's developer tool products need to be comfortable understanding complex and technical systems / services and be adapt at distilling this complexity into appropriately clean, simple, understandable, and opinionated user interfaces that place the user’s needs at the core of the design. Applicants must have a minimum of five years of work experience in product design and implementation (collaboration with front end developers), visual and interaction design, design research, design strategy, information architecture. We require demonstrated skill and knowledge in designing for complex experiences such as those in the following areas: online services, large web applications, software applications, design or development tools, financial applications or complex data visualizers.
• Capture project design requirements from program managers, engineers and user researchers; distill into a design brief and then get consensus with all stakeholders.
• Utilize expertise in UX design thinking to delve deeply into problems and find the best solutions that meet both user needs and Microsoft business objectives
• Produce user requirements specifications, user profiles, storyboards, scenarios, flowcharts, design prototypes, and design specifications.
• Effectively communicate conceptual ideas, detailed design, and design rationale both verbally and visually.
• Review and validate work with peers, stakeholders and users throughout the UX design process, maintaining constant and open communication with key team members
• Collaborate with program management and engineering teams in seeing the designs through from planning to implementation.
• Undergraduate degree in interaction design, visual communication, product design (or related design discipline) or equivalent industry experience
• Strong knowledge of UX design processes and methodology, particularly as applied to complex, high density information displays and professional applications or tooling.
• Familiarity with designing in accordance with an established design system, as well as able to identify opportunities to update and extend the design system when necessary and appropriate.
• Extreme attention to details and style consistency.
• Ability to work independently as well as in collaboration with other designers.
• Knowledge of contemporary interaction design conventions, principles, and best practices.
• Proficiency with conventional design and prototyping tools such as Adobe Creative Suite and modern design tools such as Sketch or Figma.
• Designing the UX of software development tools requires a practical understanding of software development, so some experience at scripting or coding (as part of a job, a hobby or during education) is required.
• All candidates must present an online portfolio and/or work samples including mockups and wireframes.