Our client has an in-house, full-service branding and creative agency within one of the world’s largest life science companies. They are seeking a strong copywriter with a solid life science background and an ability to distill complex technical content into meaningful copy. As their assignment progresses, this person will also play a role as a copy editor ensuring that all of our documents are scientifically and grammatically accurate.
This is a full-time (35–40 hours/week) contract position that combines the skills of a technical marketing writer with those of a QC copy editor.
The position will at first focus upon multichannel writing and substantive editing of scientific and technical marketing communications, including white papers, application notes, spec sheets, handbooks, and product bulletins, as well as technical sales fliers and brochures. He or she will also help ensure the scientific and technical accuracy of content in non-technical documents, along with providing guidance and mentoring to creative writers (who generally do not possess a scientific background).
After an initial period working solely as a technical writer, during which the individual will learn our house style, processes, and workflow, he or she will be trained to copy edit and proofread technical documents they did not write. Subsequently, they will write or edit as needed.
The internal agency works with a high volume of pieces under short timelines. As a result, this individual will be required to be on-site at our facilities in Carlsbad, CA.
• Generally requires three to five years of scientific writing experience, preferably in the biotech field.
• At least some postgraduate work in a lab.
• Proficient to thorough understanding of scientific and technical content.
• Exceptional writing, copyediting, and proofreading skills.
• Keen attention to detail, high regard for quality, and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Sophisticated knowledge of English usage (grammar, spelling, punctuation, language usage, and audience sensitivity), as well as The Chicago Manual of Style and the CSE Manual.
• Ability to write and edit content so that it is accurate, clear, concise, and meets the needs of the target audience.
• Can effectively adapt structure, tone, and style to meet objectives, and apply house style guidelines.
• Ability to work on multiple short- and long-term projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines.
• Strong relationship management, project management, and critical thinking skills.
• Minimum requirement is a Master’s degree in the life sciences.
• PhD preferred.