The key responsibility for the technical writer is to independently develop and deliver documentation for core game engine technologies and tools. Larger team is Amazon Lumberyards, package of various software tools that helps game developers make games. Customer facing documentation by technical writers - customers are the people making games. Tickets are for documentation covering various topics. Game engines are very complex software used by designers, artists, programmers. Basically, a big tool with a bunch of smaller tools inside of it. Outstanding tickets are areas that haven't been documented. Ex: there is a spelling error on this page, or it can be larger, ex: particle editor needs to be documented. Team is trained and familiar so they take a day and half on average per ticket. Several hundred engineers writing software, documentation team was understaffed, can’t keep up with new engineering work that was happening.
• Clear backlog.
• Chunks of tickets coalesce around a feature area, so the contractor will learn one without much randomization.
• Get familiar with one area of the engine and work around area.
• A minimum of 5 years in a technical writing role
• Proven experience designing and delivering customer-oriented documentation
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Experience working directly with development teams
• Must have done documentation for a significant technical software product
• Ownership is pretty good indicator. Writers just document the stuff they’ve been told to document, but those who excel can also work in other documentation and see improvement spot, take initiative and make a change. If something has been presented in a certain way, and it’s overly complicated to write about, maybe there’s a better way to implement, so a good tech writer will let the engineers know.
• Dive Deep is important, have to dive into technical space and deeply understand before they write about it.
• Automatic DQ: If they've never done documentation of a significantly technical software product, they need to see a history of that. Writers doing end user facing, IU that were
fairly simple. This is technical software for developers who are technical people. If you
see work where they’ve done developer facing documentation.
• Experience with cloud services or game technology
• Experience with instructional design
• Experience with an XML-based authoring system
• Previous experience working in an agile environment
• Passion to thrive in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
• Proven experience using and following the Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical
• A proactive and open-minded attitude to resolving problems and delivering results