Location: Seattle, WA
Title:Technical Writer - Technical Writer I
Duration: 5 months
Job Description: Our client's Logistics Training team is seeking a tech-savvy and creative Technical Writer with a flair for instructional design in an Operations/Logistics environment. We are a fun, energetic group that thrives on challenging, innovative projects. In this job, you will never be bored.
Our team develops and maintains training programs and materials that support employees working with multiple tools across a variety of geographies in a multitude of environments.
o Be very hands-on; work with the engineering team and key stakeholders to produce world-class product documentation
o Responsible for documenting the over-all systems documentation as well as producing user- and customer- (carrier-, vendor-) facing documentation
o You must have proven experience writing user documentation and conducting training sessions
o Assist engineers, UX designers, and others in drafting user-facing content
o Interpret business process, process narrative, and configured systems to determine the simplest set of instructions for completing a specific task
o Create, edit, and proofread procedural instruction documentation
o Participate in process- and system walk-throughs as needed
o Conduct technical reviews of documentation to ensure accuracy
o Conduct technical reviews of documentation intended for executive level reviews
Client Relationship Management
o Ensure that work is continually aligned to meet the client's global logistics approach and with the client's global training policies
o Collaborate effectively with many teams, including Operations, and subject matter experts (SMEs) to support launches of new products and services and enhancements to existing products and services
o Act as a proactive and productive liaison/partner with global Training Departments
o Ensure that the team creates and maintains accurate and relevant information on job tasks, SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) and training aids/visuals
o Develop and manage work flow processes and publish content to LMS
o Perform needs and task analysis and evaluate existing documentation to develop content development to meet the learning needs of the client's associates in multiple global locations
o Actively seek, clarify, and understand information from internal customers that leads to an understanding and ownership of deliverables
o Advocate for effective associate-centered training material designed to build associates’ comfort, confidence, and competence in operational processes and tools
The ideal candidate will be comfortable multi-tasking in a fast-paced, high-energy environment. They will be an adult learning expert and a creative and analytical problem solver with a passion for excellent customer service. Must be willing to roll up their sleeves and do what it takes to get the job done while insisting on the highest standards.
A writing sample will be required.
o A bachelor's degree in a relevant field
o 5+ years technical writing experience in Operations, Logistics, Training, or similar environment
o 2+ years Project Management experience
o Can conceptualize technical/functional content into something creative that people actually enjoy consuming
o Writes well, thinks creatively, has a sense of humor, and is extremely flexible
o Strong project management capabilities, cross-divisional collaboration skills, and international/multi-cultural exposure
o Able to give and receive feedback effectively
o Results-oriented; proactive attitude with a strong sense of conviction and ownership
o Meets time commitments and deadlines, or negotiates accordingly
o Travel, if necessary (<10%)
o Fluent in English
o Experience working in global organizations
o Adult learning theory/course facilitation
o Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing theories and Kaizen
o Experience using a CMS and LMS to publish and host content
o Experience designing and developing creative, learner-centered, performance-based training programs, modules, and materials in multiple modalities including interactive e-learning, videos, job aides, facilitator guides
o Content Management Systems, online Help design, SharePoint whiz a huge plus
• What is happening within your team to create this need? Backfill for a contractor who left; an increase in our workload as well.
• What should the candidates expect during your interview process (phone screens, loops, etc.)? One, possibly two phone screen and a short loop (2 interviewers). A writing sample request will be provided to candidates after they complete the phone screen(s).
• What will the work schedule be for this position (ex: 8-5)? 9 – 6
• Please list your top required (must-have) skills for this position: experience writing process/workflow/procedural content, quick learner (the systems and processes we write about are unlike anything outside of the client), detail-oriented, self-sufficient with a Bias for Action. The highest priority skill, aside from being a good writer: they must be detail-oriented.
• What will be the day-to-day activities for this role? They will help with our workload which consists of working with software developers to document new features and processes for systems used on our FCs.
• Is there any potential for extension and/or conversion to FTE (please clarify which applies)? If the candidate raises the bar and demonstrates that they are a good fit for the team, we would definitely consider them for an FTE position on our team; there is a need. The candidate would not be considered until after they have worked with the team for three months.
These job descriptions are examples. Looking for work?Find JobsFind Jobs