Technical Writer (Contract)
Software Corporation: Seattle, WA / Telecommute
Our Client is seeking a short/mid-term Technical Writer for a contract role on its User Experience team in Seattle. In order to hit the ground running and begin delivering immediately, the successful candidate will have a solid background with complex technical communication tools. Experience with Author-it software is preferred but not required (for example, equivalent experience with Adobe FrameMaker or DITA XML is acceptable).
We are in the process of building an office in Seattle. In the meantime, working remotely or telecommuting is not only preferable but required. All day-to-day activities take place with cloud/SaaS tools (Author-it Cloud, Atlassian Jira, Office 365, and so on). As long as you or your agency can provide a PC, that is essentially the only setup you will need.
• Work with the team manager to plan, create, and then deliver near-term content deliverables for the client's knowledge center.
• Edit and reorganize legacy content as well as content produced elsewhere in the organization.
• Evaluate customer feedback, respond, and implement any content changes that emerge from the customer input.
Required experience & qualifications
• At least 3-5 years of experience in a technical communications role, preferably with experience in documenting web applications for an Information Worker/end user audience.
• Experience delivering content on the modern web, including best practices for SEO. (One of your first tasks will be to review and retitle hundreds or thousands of Help topics.)
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills. You will not be supported by an editorial staff to clean up after you.
• Demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines in an agile/iterative software development process.
• A portfolio of writing samples that illustrate strong “solo” writing results.
Preferred experience & qualifications
• Experience with Agile software methodologies and tools, such as JIRA from Atlassian.
• Proficiency with a variety of writing/authoring tools and technologies, such as Adobe FrameMaker, MadCap Flare, RoboHelp, XMetaL, DITA XML, and so on. (Previous experience with Author-it is welcome but not required.)
Our client is changing the way the world works with complex business documentation. While other solutions such as financial applications, supply chain management, PLM and ERP have evolved into database-driven enterprise applications, Documentation has languished in the stone-age still essentially replicating the typewriter. This has caused a myriad of content issues across the world’s enterprises that result in 20 hours of lost productivity per week for every information worker.
Our client solves these problems by centralizing the content creation process, writing in components, and storing the pure content in a database. This innovation drives content reuse. It supports assembling and generating this content into multiple documents, and allows real-time collaboration in authoring and conducting document reviews. Clients report a doubling of author productivity, experience faster document release cycles, and a large reduction in the cost of translating content for global markets. Author-it can be used to improve efficiency in many industries and documentation applications including; product manuals and user assistance, training and eLearning, compliance documentation, operations manuals, customer support portals, and sales proposals/RFPs.
The world’s first end-to-end Enterprise Authoring Platform on the Cloud. Used in over 50 countries, by over 3,500 clients and chosen by Fortune 500 organizations for worldwide deployments.
These job descriptions are examples. Looking for work?Find JobsFind Jobs
Technical Writer (Contract)