Our client is looking to add a technical writer in their Houston, Texas office. Currently, they have 6 technical writers in the Houston office with one other working off-site. The position is open due to the amount of workload that was given for the upcoming years and how one of the writers moved out of state for a different opportunity. With the last two months, the team have been running with one less person and therefore made it difficult for the team to be on track throughout the year. On average, the team will help develop and revise over 250 documents per year within their online library.
• The Technical Writer assists Subject Matter Experts in developing written engineering information regarding the design, use and support of equipment for gas, oil and water processing facilities.
• Day to Day for this position- documents are needed to be refreshed and renewed, mainly of engineering documents on how to design a certain piece of equipment such as a pipe, vals, etc. The writer/editor will look over each document to verify and make sure everything is accurate. Some documents will need to be created with specifications and guidelines. On average, 80% of the documents are mostly revisions that you will verify/check over the material.
• Outputs include a range of documents to be read and used by both technical and nontechnical personnel supporting those facilities.
• Scope of Work Examples: Technical specifications, technical guidelines, engineering drawings, engineering datasheets and datasheet guides. Coordinates design and writing of technical documentation.
• Delivers written documentation from draft to finalized form within an electronic documentation database and development system. Will also edit written material for format, spelling, grammar, and clarity.
• Responds to general questions about language, writing and writing tools ; Maintains policy compliance and branding requirements (e.g., copyright, trademark usage).
• At least five years of experience in Microsoft Word- examples include creating templates, patterns, creating table of contents, etc.
• At least 2-3 years of experience in Excel- examples include creating tables, basic illustration, etc.
• At least 2-3 years of experience in SharePoint- does not need to be an expert but familiarity is a must have.
• Communication skills are very important. This person will need to schedule meetings for each author regarding their documents to go over the material. The technical writers in this team are not sitting behind a desk all day. They communicate with various experts to go over each document before revising it in the system.
• High School Diploma/GED required.