This is a long term contract opportunity for an experienced Technical Writer interested in producing a wide range of software and hardware documentation. The primary goal of this position is to create technical content for end users, such as Technical Data sheets, Installation Instructions, and User Manuals. Technical content is used by internal personnel, channel partners, and end users to specify, select, operate, troubleshoot, and maintain products. We have two open roles in Mayfield Heights.
The Technical Writer creates conceptual, reference and task‐type technical content about hardware and software products according to department models and templates. The Technical Writer uses traditional interview and research techniques, as well as using the hardware or software product itself to gather information, obtain a customer perspective, and verify that technical content elements are complete and accurate.
The Technical Writer is responsible for managing multiple priorities and evolving processes:
- Works with a variety of different functions and levels of personnel in marketing, engineering, quality, and other disciplines to gather and interpret source information.
- Ensures that information products are reviewed and approved per department standards before publication.
- Administers technical information products through printing, language translation, distribution, and record retention as defined in departmental procedures.
- Ensures that technical information products are developed according to department style guidelines and templates, with a global perspective, and are optimized for translation.
- Bachelor’s Degree in technical communication, professional writing, English or communications, or 10 years of equivalent experience in the technical communications field.
- Completed a minimum of five years in technical communication field or the equivalent, with at least two years of experience focused on creating customer‐facing content for industrial equipment or electronics or other highly technical subject matter.
- Demonstrated the ability to develop technical content in a clear and concise manner and to proofread own work; must be able to present portfolio of writing samples.
- Demonstrated ability to manipulate engineering drawings to create technical illustrations.
- Demonstrated ability to interface with a variety of levels and functions, and possesses adequate interview skills to gather information from subject matter experts.
- Knowledge of industrial automation control and information products preferred (control systems, software, communication networks and human interface devices) or other highly‐technical subject matter.
- Familiar with concepts related to writing for a global audience, and in administering the translation process.
- Coursework in computer science, electronics, engineering, or related sciences a plus
- Software: Adobe FrameMaker, InDesign, Acrobat, Illustrator; Microsoft Office, SharePoint (or experience with similar programs).