The candidate is expected to be experienced in use of latest technologies and methods of working with web applications, visualization tools (such as D3, and derivative frameworks such as Plotly), integration with APIs (Python / Mulesoft) for data consumption from Hadoop Data Lake.
Projects are run in an Agile manner, so a clear understanding of Agile methodology is important. The candidate is also expected to take initiative and be a technical subject matter expert on efficient ways to accomplish project goals. The development team is split mostly between Clinton and Houston – this Software Developer position will be located in Houston, TX – and will report directly to the Project Manager and Analytics Applications Track Lead on the project within the IT organization.
About the Project
The owning activity is a project scoped to delivering a modern, scalable platform for data analytics, integration with key engineering tools, and analytics applications for a scoped set of use-cases to deliver value directly to specific business process areas. The web / visualization needs are required for development of the big data analytics applications’ web user front-end UI and visualization components. Involves the use of / visualization of time series and high complexity data, and application of data has highly technical content – beyond typical business intelligence dashboards.
Experience & Job Requirements
• Working as a member of Agile teams to deliver product functionality through a set of Sprints / Program Iterations, as defined by a cross-functional project team
• Experience in Web Design (UCD/UI/UX approaches / mock-ups / wire-framing / development / delivery) for delivery of web applications in an iterative and customer-focused manner for multiple personas
• Capable of following web design / best practice guidance provided to team of developers by thel design lead
• Knowledge and/or experience in the following required:
o Developing Big Data visualizations that are performant
o Using/embedding visualizations built with vendor tools (e.g. Tableau / other) within web application context
o Integration with Hadoop and SQL server as a data consumption layer for web applications / vis
o Ability to Profile/Debug applications using software development tool(s)
o An understanding of software engineering principles, development practices and change mgmt
o Familiarity with TFS for work planning, execution, and tracking
• Knowledge and/or experience in the following preferred:
o Integration with and/or use of Libraries/Frameworks: Plotly, Chart.js, SQL, Python, Scala, Java
o Ability to build visualizations in vendor tools (e.g. Tableau) a plus, but not required
o Has developed applications which scale to hundreds of concurrent users
o Familiarity with Linux
• Self-starter who works well in a team environment
• Good verbal and written communication skills for effective collaboration
• Capable of highlighting risks, dependencies, and issues with project management