Job Title: Technical Author
Location: South London
Salary: Up to £30k + benefits
Start date: ASAP
We are looking for a Technical Author / Writer to join our client, a well-known global information service company.
You will be joining a customer-focused team, with a real focus on the user experience and how the information presented in products and accompanying documentation assists end users – hence the need for a Technical Author / Writer.
Our Technical Authors / Writer work within an Agile software development environment, operating as members of dedicated Scrum teams.
The department you will be joining plays a central role in the design and implementation of global software products. The team specialise in assisting with unique data quality challenges, providing comprehensive solutions and services. The size and scope of projects varies considerably but the common factor in all initiatives is that they are the key to unlocking operational efficiency and improving customer engagement.
As a Technical Author you will be working within your dedicated Scrum teams to update existing and create new, innovative user assistance alongside the development of our products. As we each work with several teams, you will be expected to manage multiple, sometimes conflicting priorities and manage your time effectively.
As each team works very closely together, excellent communication skills and the ability to learn quickly are essential. We need someone who can identify and push forward improvements to product documentation and user assistance, and who is confident in expressing their views and ideas.
Alongside their project work, Technical Authors work closely together as a User Assistance team. We are passionate about creating the best possible experience for our users and are constantly looking for ways in which we can achieve this. The way we work is constantly evolving, and in addition to your project work duties you will be required to think creatively in order to help deliver our team’s strategic vision, which we run in an Agile manner through an active backlog of tasks.
· Plan, research, design, write and edit end-user documentation, including creating new documents from scratch
· Plan, estimate, and deliver on documentation work to time and to high quality
· Represent the User Assistance team in Scrum teams and in the wider company
· Liaise with stakeholders locally as well as in remote offices globally
· Prioritise your own work across multiple teams and geographies
· Take responsibility for own work
· Assist with analysis and content of user stories and specifying acceptance criteria
· Attend and contribute to sprint planning sessions
· Work with other team members to prepare for and deliver demos during sprint reviews
· Share knowledge or specialist expertise
· Advocate and demonstrate appropriate technical communication best practices.
You must be positive, professional and supportive of colleagues at all times, and be willing to help out other team members as required. You must also be self-motivated with a proactive and flexible approach.
Some experience of technical authoring, or equivalent skills gained in a similar field, is preferred. However, we will also consider applications from those with a demonstrable interest in technical authoring.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE / SKILLS:
· Are of graduate calibre (minimum 2:1 degree in a relevant subject) or equivalent qualifications
· Have 22 points at A-level/AS level or equivalent qualifications
· Have experience of writing end-user documentation from scratch, or
· Can demonstrate passion for and interest in Technical Communications
· Have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
· Have excellent attention to detail
· Can show an ability to multi-task / manage conflicting priorities and demonstrate time-management skills
· Can demonstrate an ability to work independently
· Can demonstrate an ability to pick up new tools and technologies quickly
EXPERIENCE / SKILLS THAT MAY BE AN ADVANTAGE:
· HTML, CSS and/or web design
· Agile software development
· Writing for a global audience
· Knowledge of MadCap Flare
· Writing for web-based products
· Understanding of single sourcing
· 25 days holiday with a maximum of 28 days after 10 years’ service, and the ability to purchase extra holidays (up to a maximum of 28 days).
· Pension Scheme
· 7% based on an employee's contribution of 3% basic salary.
· 8% based on employee contribution of 4% of basic salary.
· 10% based on an employee contribution of 5% of basic salary.
· Private Medical Insurance.
· Death in Service Benefit.
· Childcare Vouchers.
· Season ticket loans.
· A free lunch once a week at a local restaurant.
A leading global information service company, providing data and analytics tools to clients around the world. Despite being within the corporate sector, the office is very lively and sociable and has a games room with pool table. The company also encourages staff to assist with fund raising for charities and you will be given 3 days paid leave per year to work on charitable projects.
If you are interested in the role, please apply ASAP with your CV, ideally also including a portfolio / case study showcasing some of your written work.
This will be a 2 stage interview process (telephone & face-to-face) and all candidates will need to undertake a writing assessment.
These job descriptions are examples. Looking for work?Find JobsFind Jobs
Job Title: Technical Author