This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities but constitutes a general definition of the position’s scope and function in the company.
General Position Summary:
Directly responsible for the sourcing and costing of the client's product line. This includes setting seasonal source strategies that support and ensure that we are meeting company goals; managing the product process interface between sourcing/costing and other company work functions; monitoring factory performance related to source decisions; and acting as the liaison between the home office and liaison offices.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
• Establish the seasonal source strategy of the client's product line. Expectation of strategy is to guide and set direction for the source selection process, costing and margin process, and meeting delivery and quality performance expectations.
• Determine and direct the seasonal style source selection process. Achieve a proper balance between the source selection options of factory specific, country specific and open bid pricing models that will enable the product lines to meet corporate goals. Utilize factory performance metrics of development, quality, delivery, price, and labor compliance to help guide the source selection process. Be aware of factory capacity constraints. Understand global apparel/equipment trends, trade regulations, and company direction to determine new source opportunities.
• Be an active participant and help facilitate the orderly and timely development and commercialization of the seasonal product categories. Accomplish this through providing manufacturing knowledge and expertise in the areas of costing, garment/equipment construction, manufacturing constraint identification, material development, and other manufacturing process related areas.
• Drive the product costing process with the product category team and liaison offices. Understand profitability and margin requirements of the category and set direction to meet these requirements. Facilitate the timely execution of pre costing, in line product costing, and SMU costing. Utilize costing knowledge skills to negotiate prices from a position of knowledge of garment cost components.
• Collaborate effectively with co workers across all work functions and departments. Act as a leader and be the voice of sourcing as it relates to your product category. Build teamwork and trust with co workers. Communicate and help drive source strategies to respective teams you work with.
• Monitor on an ongoing basis the quality and delivery performance of the factory source base producing your product category styles. Work proactively to address issues that may impact the factory’s ability to meet our performance requirements for quality and delivery. Troubleshoot production problems as they arise, working across company work functions to resolve problems and minimize impact to our bottom line.
• Effectively manage the SMU process by meeting all reasonable requests in a timely manner. Work with the SMU team to develop process and procedures to facilitate the orderly flow of information across departments.
• Work closely with the planning department related to the building of forecast, monthly buy schedules, and lead-times.
• Participate on projects or issues that impact sourcing, costing, production flow, and other related manufacturing areas.
• Keep current on trade agreements and pending trade regulations that may impact the course of our product source decisions.
Job Scope / Complexity:
• Work involves a high degree of complexity in performing work situations which frequently vary from the norm.
• Requires quick movement between daily problem solving, and long range production planning.
• Work is checked in the most general of terms over extended periods of time, with errors in judgment having a significant impact on profitability, product quality, and timely delivery.
• Assists in developing new ideas for manufacturing and resolving production problems.
• Incumbent maintains critical files covering product cost and productivity quality records.
• Complexity is created through the dynamic nature of the apparel/equipment industry.
• Changes occur in fashion, construction, trade regulations. Changes also occur internally with line plans. These include last minute changes to fabrics, colors, styling, delivery, wholesales and other related style specific areas. Complexity is also inherent in managing a global source base that has multiple countries involved in the manufacture of product.
Internally, day to day contact includes management and professionals across multiple work functions in the home office, and with liaison office staff in foreign countries. External contacts are primarily with suppliers/manufacturers. Most contacts involve information exchange, problem solving, and negotiation. Contacts frequently contain confidential and/or sensitive information necessitating discretion at all times, and may include financial information, strategic planning information, and confidential personnel information. Contact with foreign nationals is common and skill is expected in understanding and respecting foreign customs of each country we do business in.
These job descriptions are examples. Looking for work?Find JobsFind Jobs