Sr. Information Architect
To leverage our scale and drive efficiencies as we pursue new e-commerce opportunities around the globe, we are creating a new business unit that will be responsible for driving online growth around the world – both in developed markets where we currently have stores and an online presence and in markets where we don’t.
The objectives of this business unit will include (1) development and execution of a global strategy for e-commerce; (2) establishing of cross-functional and cross-border relationships designed to accelerate and broaden our growth in the global online channel; and (3) the creation of technology platforms and applications that can be used effectively in every market.
GENERAL SUMMARY: A Senior Information Architect is responsible for determining how the interactive user interfaces we build should work. He/She creates the plans that are used by other team members to develop the graphical user interface, content, and functionality. He/She employs user-centered design techniques and works on cross-functional teams.
He/She is responsible for consulting with clients about their business goals, and proposing front-end architectural solutions and strategies that meet both users' and business needs. Organizes site content and functionality by creating site blueprints/wireframes, creates identifiable nomenclature for users, creates navigation systems that support users' needs, analyzes, develops and refines user tasks/processes, and collaborates with the design and development teams to build user interfaces.
He/She designs organization, navigation, search, and controlled vocabulary systems. He/She draws upon user personas and scenarios, prototypes, sitemaps, and wireframes to communicate solutions to designers, developers, and senior managers.
He/She may guide and teach Information Architects and peers; participate in critiques, give effective feedback. He/She is expected to collaborate with User Research and employ research methods including content and task analysis, usability testing, and stakeholder interviews to identify problems and opportunities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Concept (15%)
• Proposed and lead project definition activities when project scope requires.
• Work with other project team members to define methods to be used, including competitive audits and secondary research.
• Work with Creative Management and Business to suggest research areas outside of projects.
2. Design (30%)
• Create process flows, site maps, wireframes, screen prototypes that will advance the company's merchandising, business, marketing, or branding objectives.
• Present chosen design to project and business teams for review.
• Work with engineering leads to determine efficacy of given solution.
3. Specification (40%)
• Produce highly accurate wireframe documentation and other specifications required to implement design.
• Work with Product manager and team to define documentation scope.
• Review project PRD to ensure correct translation of design.
4. Creative QA (10%)
• Provide QA feedback to and consultation with HTML, Engineering, and PM teams prior to launch.
• Ensure that pages match wireframe spec.
• QA frequently extends beyond projects -- a Senior IA is often looking for areas of the site that need improvement, and is able to drive implementation of changes and solutions.
• Aware of competitor best practices.
5. Management (5%)
• May guide and teach Information Architects; learn to manage.
• Participate in formal and informal design critiques, give effective feedback to peers.
1) Competencies: Skills, knowledge, & abilities
• Conduct and participate in concept generation activities including the development of: user profiles, user scenarios, organizational models, task models and feature lists
• Conduct and participate in project definition activities including: business requirement gathering, site assessment, competitive analysis, secondary research, etc.
• Create process flows, site maps, wireframes, screen prototypes and functional specifications
• Possess strong business and technical acumen; be able to quickly learn new businesses and understand technologies
• Take leadership role in directing the user experience while working very collaboratively with all members of the project team
• Make solid recommendations on the priorities of product and feature development
• Understand the importance of flexibility and the balance of speed and quality
• Very good project management skills: able to work on multiple projects, reprioritize as needed, and consistently deliver on time.
• Anticipate potential project problems and create solutions or contingency plans.
• Flexible, highly organized, and able to recommend priorities for projects.
• Demonstrate willingness to teach and contribute to the team.
• Understand the value of other Creative and cross-functional disciplines and how they work with IA.
• Take a proactive approach to creative and cross-functional communication.
• Actively seek out feedback from manager and peers; improve own performance based on that feedback.
• Develop an understanding of how to give effective feedback.
• Can resolve conflicts constructively with some input from manager.
• Demonstrate a high level of integrity and maturity. Constructive approach to challenges.
• Understand the companies' three core values: Respect for the Individual, Service to our Customers, Strive for Excellence.
• Able to persuade/influence team members, sell ideas effectively, get results, and follow through.
• Ownership of mid-sized projects with new or complex functionality, with input and feedback from manager.
• Present ideas effectively, and is a strong communicator in a variety of presentation situations.
• Demonstrate initiative and resourcefulness.
• 3+ years web-based information architecture or interaction design experience including the design of the overall architecture of one or more web sites and moderate to advanced transactional design experience.
• Experience in client services and negotiating business decisions
• Experience in user research observation and translating user research into design decisions
• Internet usability/user interface best practices
• Information process flow definition and improvement background
• Exceptional information presentation (graphic and written) experience
• Web design experience including: HTML, the capabilities of Web browsers across multiple platforms, and new technologies a plus
• Expert proficiency with Visio required. Experience with the following is helpful: Word, Illustrator, Photoshop, PowerPoint and various HTML editors
• Experience with Axure as a prototyping tool is helpful
3) Minimum educational level:
• Bachelor’s degree
These job descriptions are examples. Looking for work?Find JobsFind Jobs
Sr. Information Architect