Our client is one of the biggest travel companies that owns and operates several international global online travel brands. They are looking for a Software Dev Engineer to join their team, based in central London on a contract basis up until the end of the year.
• Develop various facets of the Hadoop EDW Java/Hadoop ecosystem
• Write clear, efficient, tested code
• Develop code as part of a wider team through pair programming and code reviews
• Contribute to both program and system architecture.
• Evolve development standards and design patterns
• Work with business stakeholders to flesh out and deliver on requirements in an agile manner
• Deploy and maintain applications in production environments
• Communicate and document solutions and design decisions
Desired experience and skills:
The client looks for intelligent candidates with good general programming skills so you can learn new technologies quickly and well. However it wouldn't hurt if you had experience with some of the following (or at least an interest in learning them):
• The Hadoop ecosystem – including Hive, Oozie, Cascading
• Agile development methodologies including scrum, code reviews, pair programming
• Object oriented design and development
• Performance and scalability tuning, algorithms and computational complexity
• Data Warehousing and ETL development
• Open source libraries and tools such as Spring, Maven, Guava, Apache Commons, Eclipse, Git, Jira, Jenkins
• Unit testing (ideally using Junit and Mockito)
• Hands on experience on writing complex bash scripts and debugging
• MS/BS degree in a Computer Science field or related discipline is nice but not essential.
• Processing massive structured and unstructured data sets.