Tell me about your department:
Site Reliability Engineering is responsible for monitoring the performance of .com’s production applications. This includes the website itself, and multiple applications which support features on the site. When degradation in performance is detected, SRT is the first-responder on scene, validating the cause of the issue and ensuring the correct teams have gathered on the bridge to remediate the problem.
Responsibilities/Deliverables that the resource will be responsible for:
- This position does require participation in 1 week long on-call shift, approx every 7 weeks
- Holiday season: week of Thanksgiving: non-traditional scheduling (open 24 hours)- will work 40 hours but within different shifts
- Data analyst type qualities: Identification of monitoring needs and goals, creating monitoring configurations to support those needs
- Configuring Synthetic test to validate key functions of the site
- Reactive monitoring: splunk to monitor servers
- Quantitative analysis
- Troubleshooting alerts: what’s the problem, collaborating the correct people for issue resolution
- Developer type qualities: Front end and back end web technologies
- Investigation of various service issues
- Lead without authority: run investigation meetings with various internal teams
- Taking control of incidents and cascading responsibilities to teams
What would a normal day for this position look like??
This role has a wide variety of responsibilities, depending on the day. In the event of a major outage Engineers are on the phone most of the day, helping to identify a problem and help create the appropriate resolution which will bring us back to functional as quickly as possible.
On non-major outages, team members spend their time looking into historical issues, digging into server logs to trace errors, and meeting with product engineering and management teams to help shape the future of the website and ensuring we’re consistently ready for power week.
These job descriptions are examples. Looking for work?Find JobsFind Jobs