The Lead Product Designer is a high- level senior designer responsible for the interaction of increasingly complex web and software applications. Held positions with increased responsibility for leadership and direction of others. Demonstrates progressive recognition as a specialist in multiple fields and has acquired enough breadth to lead others. Served as user experience leader in a group or team and advises on design and development approach.
Provides leadership and coordination across multiple concurrent projects with complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires both broad and in-depth evaluation of variable factors. Exercises judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. On a regular basis, uses significant expertise, experience and influence to evangelize user experience practices externally. Required to utilize knowledge and expertise to present at conferences and other important venues on behalf of our client.
Leads large projects or product releases and manages additional resources; responsible for all schedules and work assignments; reviews adherence to and awareness of overall departmental and project goals, processes, schedules and standards. Coordinates and manages assigned projects to completion, i.e. leads the planning of project schedule and resources, estimates, recording and reporting of project status and metrics.
Qualifications and Requirements
• Contributes to thought leadership and helps create a unifying vision for the user experience and product design for a team.
• Drives the process to understand user needs, business needs, and stakeholder requirements.
• Leads interaction of the user experience for both web and software-based interfaces; performs analysis and conceptualization of proposed projects, utilizing professional experience in the development of specifications and design standards.
• Responsible for leading the integrity of the design of the user experience on significant concurrent projects. Plans, leads, organizes, controls and performs the architectural direction of an assignment.
• Provides guidance, direction and leadership regarding design activity on various aspects of a project. Coordinates project activities with internal customers and the project team. Generally responsible for overseeing one or more significant product releases or an entire product suite.
• Oversees (and participates in) the creation of design deliverables such as wireframes, page flow diagrams, and design mockups. Drives process to generate and understand user and business requirements. Directs product design specification documentation for a product release or a group of products.
• Drives decision-making around pattern selection for design pattern libraries based on professional knowledge and understanding of usability issues and best practices.
• Keeps abreast of usability and design best practices and developments. Readily shares this knowledge with others and incorporates trends and best practices as appropriate. Drives improvements and changes in designs and gives professional appraisal on implementation of the design as planned and/or executed.
• Frequently presents design concepts and deliverables to the project team, as well as internal and external stakeholders. Leads internal and external design reviews, and presents design concepts to senior management when needed.
• Works with User Experience Researchers to plan and coordinate user testing and customer research for product release(s). Provides UX solutions for usability issues identified through customer research. Gains familiarity with user experience research methodologies and best practices.
• Creates and negotiates schedules for design deliverables for complex projects or programs for product teams and project managers. Reviews progress and evaluates results of assigned projects. Recommends necessary actions and advises manager on resource issues to ensure that projects are adequately staffed.
• Champions user-centered design principles throughout the company. May serve as the division’s primary user experience/product design representative with customers, vendors or partners.
• Responsible for intra-divisional collaboration with others within the company's user experience community to ensure a cohesive and strategic user experience across the division. Networks with key internal and external contacts outside own area of expertise on technical matters and prototype designs.
• Plays a key and significant role in external events to evangelize user experience practices and contributes to thought leadership; Expected to present and/or publish user experience work externally.
• Often assumes role of group lead and is responsible for mentoring, motivating, directing and guiding more junior members of the team.
• Advanced understanding of and experience using a variety of platforms such as Windows, Mobile, Web and Mac technologies
• Significant expertise with three or more of the following software tools for creating design deliverables is required: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Fireworks, Microsoft Visio, Axure and Microsoft Office. Expert level expertise in one or more of these tools is highly desired.
• Experience applying and defining UI design guidelines such as Microsoft’s Official Guidelines for User Interface Developers and Designers or the Apple Human Interface Guidelines is required. Experience performing heuristic review and applying usability best practices and principles is required.
• Ability to adhere to a disciplined work schedule; ability to follow directions from a supervisor; ability to understand and follow posted work rules and procedures; ability to accept constructive criticism.
• BA/BS degree or equivalent in Graphic or Interaction Design, Human Computer Interaction, Human Factors or a related field and will typically have eight (8) years of directly related work experience is typically required. Six (6) years of work experience is required for individuals holding an MA/MS degree in one of these fields. Equivalent experience may be substituted for post-graduate education.
• Must have experience defining information architecture and interaction design for several complex software or web applications and/or significant websites. Must be a recognized lead user experience designer for one or more high-profile software and/or web application releases.
• Must possess an online portfolio with a range of interactive samples.
• A combination of larger company experience coupled with meaningful time spent in an earlier stage company is a plus
• Experience in defining and prototyping end-to-end user experience, including user workflows, layouts, design of specific UX screens and components.
• Must have experience defining information architecture, or interaction design for several complex software or web applications and/or significant websites.
These job descriptions are examples. Looking for work?Find JobsFind Jobs