Content writing focus: Produce content that is easy for shoppers to either skim or read closely and that provides relevant product information. In lieu of a sales rep, this enhanced content is a key tool to inform and motivate customers to purchase the product. Content must be written in a way that customers can relate to.
Content development expectations
- Use available assets to create original product descriptions that describe the main features and benefits of a product without using market speak. Market speak includes, but is not limited to, appeals to emotion, hyperbole (the best, the most), logically impossible or unsupportable claims (unique, one-of-a-kind, best-in-class), and technical jargon (such as: pyrolytic ovens, induction cooktop, convection oven and intelligent sensor technology).
- Assets you receive (or take initiative to reach out to PM, etc. to ensure you have all available info to leverage) may include sales PDFs, video files, images, and diagrams. We expect Content Writer to be able to view and interpret all these files. Sometimes the only information you’ll have is whatever is available online; the ability to find and filter product details is essential.
- Familiarize yourself with products and features being written about prior to starting descriptions – to do this you must meet with and synthesize information received from product managers, etc. You will be asked to write about products within the Appliances and Automotive categories – such as: major household appliances, product apps, small kitchen appliances (blenders, mixers, toasters, etc.), vacuums, air conditioners, air purifiers, car batteries, chargers and tires among other items. You will also be required to understand how each product fits within the full assortment – specifically if and why it would be looked at as an up-sell or OPP (opening price point) product and ultimately being able describe features within an easily comprehendible comparison chart.
- Appliances and automotive descriptions often require translating product/brand jargon into simple language. Imagine you are explaining the advancements in washing machine agitators to your parent whose washing machine is from the 70’s.
- A critical eye is needed to determine the best template option available to properly represent the copy that is being written about. If certain templates are restricted, you must be able to adapt writing based on what’s available.
- Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis on communication, English or similar discipline
- 4-6 years of agency professional experience
- Conceptual/Strategic thinker
- Creative portfolio/writing samples required as part of application
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat
- Strong organizational and communication skills and great attention to detail
- Experience working with online retailers like Amazon a plus