We’re looking for a researcher with a background in economics and/or social science to work with our policy team. You will enjoy working with one of the richest data sets in the world, cutting edge technology, and the ability to see your insights turned into actionable policy insights on a regular basis. The perfect candidate will have a background in a quantitative social science, experience working with large data sets, and will have some experience in data-driven decision making. You are scrappy, focused on results, a self-starter, and have demonstrated success in using analytics to answer policy-relevant questions.
- Scope projects that use our data as well as data from external sources (including surveys and focus groups) to provide meaningful and measurable value to society.
- Identify partners to collaborate on research.
- Apply your expertise in quantitative analysis, data mining, and the presentation of data to see beyond the numbers and understand complex, multidimensional policy questions.
- Partner with Policy, Data Science and Engineering teams to solve problems and identify trends and opportunities.
- Inform, influence, support, and execute our product and policy decisions and launches.
- This role has work across the following four areas:
- 1) Data Infrastructure
- Work using SQL-like data extraction languages.
- Building key data sets to empower operational and exploratory analysis.
- 2) Exploratory Analysis
- Translating raw data into usable insights.
- Evaluating and defining metrics.
- Identifying time trends and robust relationships between variables.
- Hypothesis testing and causal inference.
- 3) Presentation
- Producing data visualizations.
- Writing and editing reports for external publications, including blog posts, white papers, and academic publications.
- 4) Outreach
- Identifying academic, governmental, and nonprofit partners to collaborate on projects.
- Outreach among key stakeholders to communicate our efforts.
- 4+ years experience doing quantitative analysis (years of advanced education may count as experience).
- Background in management consulting or government a plus.
- Fluency in SQL or demonstrated ability to acquire it quickly.
- Fluency in R or Python.
- Experience working with large data sets, and with distributed computing (Hive/Hadoop) a plus.
- Ability to initiate and drive projects to completion in collaboration cross-functional teams with minimal guidance.
- The ability to communicate the results of analyses in a clear and effective manner.
- Understanding of statistical analysis and causal inference.
- MA/PhD in economics, political science, public policy, behavioral or social science or a related quantitative field.