Aquent has an immediate opportunity for a Proofreader with a global company in Dallas. This is a nine month temporary position. This is an on-site opportunity only, and not remote. No relocation.
Provides proofreading and copy editing expertise to the Global markets, ensuring that all product packaging reflects brand style, good grammar, factual content and consistency. Determines and initiates proofreading best practices. Serves as a Company resource and knowledge base regarding proofreading, grammar and style.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Compares all packaging art boards with the corresponding Project Brief confirming all copy is included on art board, all logos are correctly in place, specifications are followed as outlined on the brief and dimensions are correct as described on the brief. Ensure that all copy that has been provided by the data owner on the brief is grammatically correct. Proofreader will mark up hard copy, annotating any needed changes using the content management and project tracking system. Proofreader will check revised artwork against changes made by data owners, ensuring all are made correctly. Proofreader also checks vendor proofs against approved art to ensure final art is correctly and completely reproduced prior to production.
2. Maintains knowledge of trademarks and new products to facilitate understanding of projects and their specs.
3. Serves as a corporate-wide knowledge resource, answering style and grammar questions posed by others involved in the creative process, including writers and other proofreaders. Educates other proofreaders and writers on updates, changes and key information provided by various departments to facilitate the most proactive, efficient and accurate proofing of all projects.
4. Grasps the differences among a wide variety of global languages to ensure proper placement of information on art boards in accordance with established style.
5. To ensure packaging copy is grammatically correct, packaging proofreader checks packaging copy provided by data owners before it is submitted for inclusion in the content management system.
6. Monitors proofreading workload and schedules and finds efficiencies to guarantee deadlines are met. Attends departmental, packaging production and other meetings as needed to gain relevant knowledge.
7. Able to serve as back up to marketing materials proofreader during vacation, illness, etc.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Education: High school education or equivalent plus 9 hours of college English or journalism coursework. Bachelor’s degree in English or journalism preferred.
Experience: 5-7 years of related work experience in a journalism and/or graphics production environment
1. Requires exceptional proofreading and editing skills.
2. Must be organized and detail-oriented, able to juggle a variety of jobs at one time.
3. A thorough understanding of publication production, art production, mechanical production terms.
4. Must have good PC skills for annotating and navigating internal databases. Experience using a workflow management/routing system is a plus.
5. Familiarity with Spanish, French, German, Russian and Portuguese a plus.