For this assignment with Aquent's client, the Production Designer provides production mechanical building expertise combined with a great sense of design and consistency. This hybrid role (production and design) provides a critical link between the creative and the mechanical phases across all spheres of client projects (Retail, Channel, Packaging, Corporate ID, Events et al.)
The Production Designer is the liaison between the Creative Design teams and Production Studio teams, ensuring the original design intent, established by approved creative, is maintained thoughtfully and consistently throughout the implementation and mechanical production processes.
• Directly support Creative Design staff (Design Pod teams and Functional Design team)
• Use design implementation experience to anticipate and problem-solve executional issues such as image cropping, scaling, layout ratio reformatting
• Use production experience to anticipate and problem-solve executional issues such as resolution, function, color, reproduction and finishing
• Strategize the implementation of a project’s core set of creative across the full suite of print and some online deliverables
• Create design adaptations at different aspect ratios and scales
• Build and maintain design roadmaps, master layouts and other internal visual documents
• Create master pre-production layouts for hand-off to Production Studio with notes on allowable design and content variations
• Incorporate client brand, typography, and identity guidelines
• Provide direction and delegate project needs to Studio Production support staff
• Lead production hand-off meetings to Mechanical Production Studio
• Build mechanicals if needed
• Review all Studio produced mechanicals and note feedback/changes
• Build Production Design Guideline documents that convey design direction and production specifications to internal (GEO partners) and/or external users (Agencies and Partners)
• Present Production Design Guideline documents to GEO Localization Teams
• Participate in GEO creative workshop office hours providing design and production direction for challenging project implementation needs
• Sampling of project types: Hardware Packaging, Accessory Packaging, Retail Store Graphic Panels, Channel Product Fixtures, In-store Posters and Signage, Exterior Window Posters and Banners, APR Demand Generation and Partner Tactical Templates
• Assist in improving workflow, tools and process
• Reports to Production Design Manager
• BA or BS degree in Graphic Design or similar field
• 8-10 years production design experience in an agency and/or in-house corporate graphic design environment
• Expert in Mechanical Production, Adobe InDesign and Illustrator.
• Highly skilled in Photoshop, Bridge, and Acrobat.
• Well-honed eye for sophisticated design
• Able to implement creative design direction
• Able to work from sketches, rough digital layouts, and verbal communication
• Able to communicate ideas and directions to others clearly, diplomatically and concisely
• Strategic thinker—able to evaluate the implications of decisions at both the functional and strategic levels
• Exhibits proactive and creative solution-oriented thinking and execution
• Comfortable working with diverse teams, including Creative, Project Management, Print Production, Mechanical Studio, Editing and Content et al.
• Works well in partnership with others, particularly Creative and Production Design personnel, and maintains professional demeanor under pressure and in situations of ambiguity