Primary Objective of Position
The Production Artist is responsible for the production of on-time, error-free, and properly constructed mechanicals.
Key requirements include a strong knowledge of current design software, the ability to communicate and work effectively with business partners, expert level technical knowledge of all facets of mechanical production, and extreme attention to detail.
THIS IS NOT A DESIGN POSITION.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Build, revise and prepare final mechanicals for release to pre-press, print and online vendors/teams.
- Construct clean digital files for online use.
- Work closely with design and editorial staff to ensure creative specifications are met. An eye for design and copy standards is required to execute subsequent versions with little supervision from designers.
- Work closely with Print Production and Program Managers to ensure project goals, details, and deadlines are met.
- Review and approve printer proofs for accuracy.
- Adhere to brand graphic standards and server structure in all files, utilizing processes and policies as outlined in the studio manual, or as specified by the Supervisor. Work with Supervisor to evaluate and revise the studio manual, and assist in monitoring and enforcing studio standards.
- Prepare comps and mockups, often at full-size, for use in presentations.
- Manage the organization of large image/asset libraries.
- Assist in the archival and cataloging of digital assets.
- Prioritize projects and deadlines, as needed.
- Investigate, test, and recommend alternative production methods, both technical and process-oriented, as needed, to supervisor. Evaluations may involve ROI exercises and presentations to various business partners.
- Assist Head of Creative Production in partnering with IT to ensure technical support issues are met.
- Assist in the technical development of Creative Production team.
- Continually manage, and work to improve the quality of department deliverables.
Knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Superior decision making, troubleshooting, negotiating, influencing and interpersonal skills
- Conflict Management: approaches conflicts as opportunities; understands others quickly; can find common ground without comprising total position.
- Ability to work within a team environment.
- Ability to work and function in ambiguity.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Expert Mac OSX-based knowledge of Adobe CC.
- Expert knowledge of Mac OSX fonts, both PostScript and OpenType; as well as Extensis Suitcase Fusion, or equivalent, e.g. FontReserve or Font Agent Pro.
- Knowledge of color and b/w printers, specifically large-format and high-volume laser (using Fiery or Splash RIP).
- Understanding of, and ability to build and assign ICC profiles to digital files.
- Knowledge of flatbed scanners and other common Mac peripherals.
- Expert knowledge of printing processes and building mechanical art, including knowledge of color separations and common pre-press workflows.
- Self-motivated team player; must be able to work efficiently with minimal supervision.
- Great organizational skills, both physically and electronically, with capability to prioritize and manage own time. Assist other staff in prioritizing projects. Work closely with other business partners to ensure timely transfer of project materials to production studio.
- Design skills required to execute iterative mechanical versions.
- Must be able to interpret and communicate creative direction and revisions to production partners.
- Must be physically able to use both digital and traditional production tools, including but not limited to, X-acto blades, Xyron, foam core and other mounting substrates/materials.
- Minimum 4 years experience in marketing/advertising/design studio environment.
Minimum educational level/Experience:
- BA/BS degree
- At least 3-4 years production experience in an agency environment.
- Reports to Head of Creative Production.
These job descriptions are examples. Looking for work?Find JobsFind Jobs