This role is specifically focused on the customer experience and online development side of the business. Our client invests millions every year to deliver improvements to their ‘shopping trip’ across PC, tablet, Kiosk and mobile and their Product Owners are central to the definition of that road map and delivering these improvements for their customers. About the team & the role This role is part of ‘Customer Journey PO team’ within our client's broader Customer Experience and Online development team. The Customer Journey PO team specifically has product ownership accountability across the whole shopping trip and all devices (PC, mobile, tablet and kiosk). Together, this team looks at competitors and trends, listens to customers and their business, builds their development backlog, leads inspiring and practical improvements through IT and 3rd party developments and stands across all devices. Their team is made up of a collection of Product Owners, Information Architects, Interactive Designers, Business Analysts and Project Managers. We are a blend of Marketing, Commercial and IT ‘stereotypes’ and above all else, we care about improving their online shopping trip and enjoying work. The team is based in the Marketing department but spend a great deal of time with IT, Commercial, Marketplace colleagues and of course, their customers. As such a willingness to travel for approx three – five weeks per year is ideal. All trips are very comfortably catered for and we normally travel as team making it not just interesting but great fun! Key responsibilities/accountabilities Reporting to the Senior Product Owner – Customer Journey, responsibilities will include: • Putting customers first – ensuring the website and the marketing and merchandising tools we design, build and then deliver provide an excellent customer experience.
Ensuring that new ideas and journey changes are tested with customers before, during and after build so that we understand the impact.
• User centred design – while we are not expecting you to be a fully fledged information architect, you will be familiar with the philosophy of and activities undertaken in user centred design – qualitative research, usability testing, creating low and high res wireframes and prototypes, card sorting etc. Within the team is a UX team, you will work closely with them in the specification, testing and development of the shopping trip.
• Accountable for test and acceptance of elements of the new website's user interface – anything from the site's usability, alignment to brand guidelines, search and browse functionality, product, price and promotion display, checkout and service emails. Pulling in the appropriate subject matter experts where necessary.
• Act as the business ‘product owner’ on Agile project teams - working with solutions architects, scrum masters, business analysts, developers and testers to prioritise work, understand and resolve issues and deliver the website to their business colleagues and customers. Taking accountability is key. You will own the creation and sign off of epics, user stories and visual designs – working with BAs, PMs, IAs, designers, solution architects, developers and testers - you will lead virtual teams through to successful delivery.
• Play a key role in the business implementation of web development projects within marketing and wider business teams – this involves supporting internal communications and organisational change activities such as training and process mapping as well as customer research. You will be an ambassador for their customers and for the marketplace – both internally and to the clients seller community.
• Use a strong understanding of the online world and constantly scan the market to generate new and better ways to build and run the websites – turn ideas into business cases and look for ways to deliver benefit to the business not just through major IT projects, but also through optimisations of the current site and/or quick wins. You will be accountable for maintaining the backlog, ideas and epics. New ideas will need business and commercial rationales and being able to communicate the need for change both verbally and written is key to this role. Key Competencies/ Behaviours Personal • Liaising and influencing at all levels of management, both internally and externally. You should be a great ambassador for clients with excellent interpersonal skills.
• Being consistent in your views, decisions, ways of working and your efforts to build strong relationships with your colleagues.
• The successful candidate will have a tenacious can do/will do mentality. Whilst being personally robust and willing to challenge the status quo you will work closely with other team members and must be able to ‘bring people with you’.
• Creative, analytical and pragmatic decision making – you will be able to provide recommendations and prioritise on behalf of the customer and business.
• You’ll be organised and have a sharp eye for detail – this is a largely ‘self managed’ role – you will be expected to organise yourself, others and be able to spot issues before they happen. Accountable for the sign-off of developments you will need to be thorough in your specifications and testing.
• You will have a passion for learning and all things digital! If you’re someone that loves surfing the web and learning what and how websites and apps have been built and designed, you’re made for the team! Technical
• On behalf of the business and customers, you will have experience working in a web development or operations role/s where you were involved in and/or accountable for the following: Must haves o Customer experience – user centred design, usability testing, information architecture, copy writing and visual design o Requirements gathering and wire framing – you will have some experience in ‘mocking up’ concepts as scamps, designs or wireframes as well as working with information architects and/or business analysts to finalise detailed wireframes. Should haves o Web Analytics -Use of web analytics to measure performance, identify potential improvements and measure success of developments
Search – internal product search, faceted browse, visual search o Mobile – responsive design, mobile web, APIs, mobile apps
• You will have worked across the full lifecycle of web development projects – define, design, develop and deliver.
These will have ideally been in an ecommerce/retail environment
• Ideally you will be comfortable working on large scale IT projects working as a product owner in an Agile development environment • Technical understanding – you will need to be comfortable having technical conversations, understand the possibilities of online technologies and know when to ask questions.
• While not actively ‘managing the project’ you will be a natural planner looking ahead, raising issues, providing solutions and meeting deadlines.
• Your written and verbal communication skills must be second to none – structured, flexible and clear. Key Skills/ Experience and Qualifications required
• 2:1 Degree
• At least three years professional work experience in an product owner and/or digital publishing/content role. Ideally with Retail experience.
These job descriptions are examples. Looking for work?Find JobsFind Jobs