Aquent's Fortune500 client in Framigham, MA is looking for a Product Design Manager for a 6 month assignment (40/hrs 5 days, onsite in Framingham, MA) with potential to extend beyond.
The Manager role within the Design and Innovation Team supports the development of Staples products across the own brand portfolio. You will build our brands by creating design standards and delivering designs that meet business and customer needs ultimately creating world class user experiences. You will forge strong relationships with consumer insights, product management, product development and merchandising to develop criteria for new programs and ensure brand and product guidelines are being met. This role requires the ability to design across many categories including technology, supplies, facilities, and furniture. You will work with teams to champion design innovation programs using design thinking to bring new customer centric solutions to life.
• Briefing, planning, coordinating, and delivering large scale design projects
• The creation, presentation of seasonal trend and color concepts which will be implemented during key promotional seasons
• Partner with the Merchandising, Product Management & Product Development teams to build customer focused solutions.
• Evaluate and manage external consultants from negotiation to project completion to meet project requirements
• Investigate new categories or technologies and quickly prepare presentations that validate assumptions and build credibility
• Assist in the development of design standards and champion the standards in all design projects
• Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design required
• Minimum 7 years of product design experience
• Minimum 1-2 years managing direct reports
• Highly organized individual, with exceptional prioritization and time management skills
• Business acumen: Solid understanding of key metrics and functional roles
• Must be able to leverage customer and market research to identify insights that lead to game changing product offerings
• Design for Manufacture: MUST understand manufacturing thoroughly and be able to deliver technical packages to product development
o includes cut/sew, injection molding, stamping, extrusion, surface coating, etc.
• Experience working in China and US at manufacturing facilities to solve problems during development
• Software Skills
Advanced - Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign
Intermediate Solid works or Rhino
Optional – Keyshot
Must be able to use Microsoft Office Suite.
• Prototyping – ability to determine the appropriate level of prototype required for project phase and source from external vendors
• Must be able to manage a budget, as well as, prepare reports as required.
• Design Management experience – building processes, tools, and strategies to advance design within an organization.
• Strong communication skills (verbal and written), with ability to communicate why design meets customer needs, aligns with the business strategy, and supports our brands
o Presentation Skills – ability to create and deliver dynamic presentations to large groups
• Great design sense and 2D sketching (ideation) skills
• Knowledge of patents with ability to work with patent attorneys to create design and utility patents
• Understanding of research methodologies that require direct contact with consumers through participation in qualitative research including home visits, ethnographies and focus groups