£ salary negotiable DOE
The planning editor is a senior editorial and managerial role. He/she will build and lead the global editorial calendar for a magazine International in conjunction with the 11 digital titles that are wholly owned by our Client. The planning editor will line manage a distributed team of network editors, embedded in the 11 markets around the globe. These editors will specialise in different platforms depending on local market requirements, so the candidate will require in-depth experience of managing digital, video, social platforms.
This is a new role and requires an experienced and creative editor with extensive experience in a newsroom. The role demands exceptional communication skills, organisational skills and an ability to build relationships and manage internationally.
The planning editor will direct editorial plans in our markets, identifying opportunities for collaboration and syndication across teams and platforms. He/she will set up a network of translators and translation agencies for the 7 languages in which we publish.
The ideal candidate has creative flair, a deep knowledge of the fashion industry, trends in how fashion is reported (in relation to celebrity, street style, events, partnerships) a cool head, a fair hand and a talent for turning complex projects into smooth workflows.
The planning editor will work closely with the Editor-in-Chief, Deputy Editor, Head of Photography, Commissioning Editor and teams working off-platform in London, and the editorial teams across our 11 international markets.
The position of planning editor will report into the Editor-in-Chief, and be based in London.
Key duties and responsibilities:
● Create and direct a global editorial calendar for an international magazine
● Manage network editors in 11 different countries in Europe, Asia and Latin America.
● Set timelines and manage workflows across all International teams and platforms, including photography and copy desks, plus Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, WeChat and other platforms to ensure deadlines are met.
● Be confident in planning coverage of fashion weeks globally.
● Bring creativity to planning how a magazine covers key events across different digital platforms.
● Manage and expand a network of translators for the 7 languages that the magazine publishes in.
● Liaise with editorial teams in 11 markets on planning, translation and adaptation.
● Research and quickly build an understanding of the coverage needs of the 11 titles.
Essential skills and requirements:
● Exceptional organisational and planning skills
● Extensive people management skills, ideally experience in managing teams internationally
● Excellent communication skills is a must
● Diplomacy and experience of building relationships remotely and across cultures and time zones
● Experience of launching and overseeing new projects
● Deep knowledge of the fashion industry and fashion calendar
● A background in digital publishing and the requirements of storytelling on different social platforms
● Fluency in a second language is highly desirable
● Experience working overseas is advantageous
● A level head when faced with new challenges
● An ability to inspire and recognise and celebrate success from direct reports