Job Description: Packaging Designer
Reports to: Design Director
The Designer creates design solutions for assigned projects. This ranges from original concept creation to transforming client and customer ideas into design concepts by contributing designs and implementing refinements to projects. Coordinates input from other design team members and ensures clients’ suggestions and changes are incorporated appropriately in the design work. In this position, the designer becomes familiar with the clients Visual Building Blocks Methodology and works toward developing a consistent design approach to projects.
The Designer is expected to perform all work consistent with the guiding principles, behaviors and standards described in the “Work Environment - Working Together” section of the Operations Manual.
• Design Management – Responsible for completing assigned design projects from initial briefing through all phases as assigned.
• Delivers creative design solutions for projects assigned. Creates and prepares design solutions consistent with project requirements.
• Attends selected initial client presentations and feedback sessions. Incorporates client changes, refinements and requests, while maintaining integrity of designs. Ensures essential information is included in work.
• Ensures essential data provided in brief is reflected in work.
• Participates in “brainstorming” project meetings. This includes preparation of stimuli to be used at initial brainstorming session, as well as capturing ideas as they are generated with design execution suggestions.
• Prepares sketches and designs including input from all meetings and discussions. Presents design ideas in sketch form.
• Participates in CRITs, briefings, sketch sessions and follows through on all assigned responsibilities. Presents work-in-progress to team during CRITs; incorporates team input.
• Learns the methodology of working and ensures that it is followed throughout each project.
• Secures external resources (freelance illustrators, letterers, comp photographers, etc.) and materials when Design Director determines that internal resources are overloaded.
• Produces “Presentation Blueprints”, which are essential to phase one presentations.
• Works with production team to ensure appropriate execution against design select (when most senior member of the design team). Reviews the aesthetics of the final production materials under the supervision of the Design Director or the Associate Design Directors.
• Uses Project System to regularly report progress against objectives.
• Participates in “hand-off” meetings to the Production team.
• Responsible for wrapping up their own design projects; including debrief, proper filing of sketches and samples, outside resources, etc.
• Provides guidance to less experienced colleagues as required.
• Assists in finding additional freelance resources for the client (i.e., Designer, Production Artist, Illustrator, Hand Lettering Artists, etc.).
• Other responsibilities as assigned.
• Education - Associate Degree or equivalent in a related field of design.
• Experience - Two (2) to three (3) years of directly related experience.
• Technical Knowledge & Creative Ability - Working knowledge of graphic designing software. Knowledge of industry design principles and practices. Ability to translate concept into designs.
• Project Management - Ability to visualize project concepts and manage details.
• Attention to Details – Ability to translate ideas into concepts and follow through with extraordinary attention to details.
• Interpersonal Skills - Good interpersonal and negotiating skills to effectively deal with clients, colleagues and vendors.
• Oral Communication / Presentation Skills - Good oral communications skills required to translate creative vision from clients and design team.
• Written Communications Skills – Good written communications skills required to effectively convey information to colleagues, clients, vendors and outside resources.
• Leadership Skills & Ability - Good leadership ability to coordinate external resources.
• Organizational Skills - Good organization skills required for planning and managing multiple projects with demanding deadlines simultaneously.
• Analytical / Problem-Solving - Good analytical and problem-solving skills required to assess situations, gather appropriate information, identify issues, develop alternatives and resolve issue.
• Working Conditions - Ability to occasionally work extra hours when required to meet deadlines; limited travel as required.
These job descriptions are examples. Looking for work?Find JobsFind Jobs
Job Description: Packaging Designer