A leading retailer is looking for a PR Manager. Sitting in the Local Campaigns and Consumer PR team – and within the UK Marketing Communications Department – you’ll be responsible for creating award-winning PR activations for brand and trade campaigns. You’ll also manage PR-specific events, product placement and press releases.
*YOU MUST HAVE FOOD AND DRINK EXPERIENCE.
As the ‘go to’ person for consumer PR, you’ll champion the newly formed team and newly established channel within the business and externally. You’ll also work closely with our Corporate Communications team to build good working relationships to make sure our messages are clear and consistent.
From the initial concepts through to sign-off, you’ll work across the business and with our external PR agency to bring the ideas to life. You’ll also work with the Insight team to create the supporting analysis, and with the Procurement team on the agency relationship to help the business with decision making.
And while you’re doing all that, you’ll be keeping on top of trends in retail, food and drink, non-food and more, bringing the best from outside the business and knowing where we should be looking for the next thing.
This is what we’ll expect you to do and how we’ll measure your success when you do it. But bear in mind that specific responsibilities can change, as they depend on the changing needs of the business.
For now, though, you will:
- Build a multi-layered consumer PR plan, aligned to the strategy and UK Marketing Communications calendar to drive a compelling and cohesive brand message
- Manage consumer PR events and activations to agreed budget and timings, at the same time as continually looking for ways to improve and innovate, offering journalists and customers something different and exciting each time
- Generate coverage and editorial content across media publications, online and offline, which is in line with the PR strategy and works alongside the marketing strategy
- Manage the consumer PR budget (in accordance with the forecast) and the agency retainer
- Nurture and develop one direct report, training them to be your protégé
- Act as the main point of contact for all PR-related queries
- Continue to build and strengthen relationships with key journalists and bloggers across print and online
- Manage key product launches and seasonal events
- Define and execute a clear and forward-thinking influencer strategy
- Write press material when necessary
- Have a solid understanding of the digital channels (even better, you’ll have experience working with them)
- Deliver weekly and monthly PR reports to key business stakeholders.
Ideal candidate, you’ll need:
At least 5 years’ experience in consumer PR (agency or in-house, preferably within the retail sector or FMCG) delivering successful, integrated campaigns a strong network of influencers and media contacts. Excellent verbal and written communication skills: you’ll need to be able to explain complex concepts to people of all levels budget and agency management experience. They work with large budgets and a number of agencies, so experience of managing, evaluating and optimising both is essential experience of tracking tools and the ability to define and track KPIs people management and development experience to be comfortable working in a vast business and a large team, as well the other marketing communications channels and campaign teams to deliver a compelling and integrated plan a Bachelor’s degree or demonstrable experience; an advanced degree or industry qualification would be a plus.