My client is a global tech company based in the US with offices across the world including London. My client is looking for Field Support Technicians to perform physical installation, repair, maintenance, and testing activities as directed with meticulous attention to driving and maintaining the highest quality standards in the telecommunications industry. This is a 12 Month contract paying up to £56,000 pro rata PAYE dependant on experience
Core Responsibilities of the Field Support Technician:
- Maintain the highest quality standards in all assigned data centre locations and remote points of presence (POPs).
- Perform physical installation, repair, maintenance, and testing activities as directed with meticulous attention to driving and maintaining the highest quality standards in the telecommunications industry.
- Perform card adds or replacements, software upgrades, and associated testing.
- Provide site survey support for OSP and ISP projects, as well as large space & power and/or equipment deployments.
- Perform site audits and reconcile data discrepancies in coordination with Network Surveillance and other groups as necessary.
- Recommend improvements to processes that may impact the quality of our network assets or improve overall efficiency's for any related process or system.
- Manage local construction vendors working on behalf of the company to ensure compliance with installation, repair, maintenance MOPs and standards, as well as quality and cleanliness.
- Meet/coordinate with Local Exchange Carrier (LEC) and other technicians to facilitate timely installation, repair, and maintenance activities as necessary.
- Perform site surveys in support of network builds, augments, or decommissions.
- Assist in coordinating site access, equipment staging, and other tasks
Requirements for the position:
- Extensive knowledge of Data Centre and POP infrastructure, including experience or deep understanding of OSP, ISP, interfacility cabling, fiber and copper distribution, AC/DC power systems, environmental controls, and relay rack/cabinet/cage construction.
- Minimum of 3 years experience installing, testing, troubleshooting, and commissioning a wide variety of telecom/network equipment, including DWDM, and a myriad of routers and switches, as well as all associated fibre and space/power infrastructure in POP or DC environments.
- Expertise with all telecommunications testing equipment from scopes and sources and power meters to the different OTDR, BER, and IP capable test sets
- Knowledge of all optical testing standards across all transport protocols and bandwidths
- Must know what good looks like - running, dressing, cleaning, scoping/testing, labeling, racking, stacking, and general neatness within a data center environment.
- Complete understanding of all data center and OSP construction site safety standards.
- OSHA certifications highly preferred.
- Experience with state and local regulatory standards, procedures, and permitting requirements preferred.
- Experience and ability to work effectively with local exchange carrier (LEC) and other telecom service provider technicians, building landlords, electricians, construction operators, and non-technical end users.
- Contractor management experience preferred. Union contractor experience preferred in metros where unions are prevalent.
- Ability to work independently, diagnose problems and take appropriate action with minimal supervision.
- Experience with logical inventories like Netcracker or Granite, and the ability to read fiber or duct tables, CAD drawings, and blueprints required.
- Competence with spreadsheets, work flow and project management applications, and administrative software applications a must