The nature of the work is focused on the appearance of product, communications, or collateral materials.
• Executes materials designs.
• Finalizes product details and proactively follows through on execution of materials on each product.
• Actively seeks expert input from materials design and category organizations to develop appropriate solutions.
• Reviews all samples to achieve marketable solution; reviews with design, marketing, and development.
• Clearly communicates all changes for final confirmation.
• Responsible for materials in the final product result.
• Maintains materials calendar/timelines/deadlines for category.
• Develops line art, color design server, GPIN, PDM, merchandising line, cutting samples and working with material consultant to coordinate materials for products.
• Plans product details.
• Collaborates with design, product marketing and development/material consultant to focus materials solutions for market success.
• Gathers category specific information: Consumer/channels/market.
• Develops appropriate solutions with regard product marketing and development/material consultant to focus materials solutions for market success.
• Develops appropriate solutions with regard to quality, cost/value, manufacturability, sustainability, merchandising and aesthetic finish.
• Creates and executes innovative, retail-able materials solutions for category or gender-specific line.
• Together with Materials Design Director, Sr. Materials Designer or more senior level designers, creates seasonal category-specific direction of color, materials and graphics that reflect design philosophy, product performance, and appeal to targeted consumers.
• Gains knowledge in creating category line each season.
• Understands materials and design and gains knowledge in market and lifestyle trends that influence and gains knowledge in market and lifestyle trends that influence and impact category.
• Gains expertise in the consumer and their culture.
• Understands consumer and brand positioning needs.
• Studies and researches competitor products, consumer retail habits, materials and market trends.
• Applies insights from consumer perspective into materials solutions.
• Presents and communicates category specific materials direction and materials merchandising direction of the seasonal line to appropriate groups as needed.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Macintosh computers using PhotoShop, Free Hand and/or Illustrator.
• Knowledge of CAD programs, preferably in Mac environment.
• Understanding of materials trends, fabric characteristics, materials compatibility, and materials placement.
• Effective verbal, written, and visual communication skills in local market language, including presentations.
• Proficient information-seeking skills and drive for results.
• Ability to share ideas and develop effective responses or elevate to higher management.
• Ability to work cooperatively with staff.
Typically requires a Bachelor’s Degree and minimum of 1-2 years directly relevant work experience