Individual will drive newness and innovation through raw material sourcing, as well as wet and dry process. The individual will execute the brand strategy and alignment needs across divisions that support the company vision and initiatives. The individual will bring new ideas to the design table each season while also conducting seasonless, continual research and development. Individual will source seasonal design requests with appropriate vendors, mills and laundries and offer creative solutions if the request is outside the brand's sourcing and pricing strategy. Individual is responsible for developing garment wet processing aesthetic standards. Individual will abide by vendor policies and guidelines as defined by supply chain and procurement strategies. Provide technical support including troubleshooting to cross functional teams in the development of presentation samples and execution of production. Establish and maintain effective relationships with mills, laundries, and their management teams.
Essential Job Functions
• Support the sourcing of newness and innovation in brand raw materials.
o Translate brand aesthetic into clear, executable direction for vendor technicians.
o Utilize technical expertise to realistically translate design intent, meeting raw material cost parameters and guidelines.
o Maintain a fabric and wash resource library to support seasonal inspiration as well as archive Brand production fabrications.
o Partner with design to establish trend right wash targets that support direction, innovation and business needs.
• Support team in delivering brand fabric cost savings.
o Gather and negotiate initial raw material cost information.
o Ability to reverse engineer innovative fabrics to meet a value proposition.
o Ensure developments are in alignment and support global production and supply chain strategies.
o Analyze fabric needs across the brand and make recommendations to production and design for leveraging qualities across divisions to maximize brand savings.
o Balance cost and quality of fabric and trim.
• General functions
o Maintain knit and woven fabric, wash standards, and trim resource library.
o Maintain seasonal fabric database.
o Communicate with overseas GIS partners, design, and production counterparts.
o Ensure product integrity by troubleshooting testing exception reports.
Key Competencies Required:
• Excellent technical knowledge of knit and woven fabrications, wet/dry process, and trim.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to negotiate and build consensus across multiple functions.
• Working knowledge and understanding of production.
• Proven ability to work closely and partner effectively with designers.
• Proven ability to transfer knowledge and teach.
• Build and maintain vendor relationships.
• Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to regularly interface with and influence senior management.
• Understanding of trade regulations, testing protocol, product integrity requirements, product cycle timeline and fabric garment construction.
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel and PLM preferred.
• Excellent decision making skills as well as problem solving skills.
• Strong fashion sense, taste level and eye for trends
• Director, Fabric R&D
• Cross functional partners in design, GIS, production, and merchandising.
• Third party R&D partners or vendors
• Create teams and schedule opportunities for self-development
• Textile Engineer
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent preferred
• 5 + years in textile industry working with knit and woven fabric and trim.
• 3+ years of management experience preferred.
• Ability to travel throughout the U.S. and internationally as needed.
Job Title: Manager Fabric R&D Wovens & Knits
Start Date : March 15, 2013
End Date: - option to hire if skills are a match
Work Schedule: 8a-5p Mon-Fri. (40hrs. a week)
Software skills: Web based PDM (we use PLM), Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint
These job descriptions are examples. Looking for work?Find JobsFind Jobs