Job Title: Lifestyle Editor
Start Date: Asap
Location: London Victoria
This role is paying up to 30K and will run until the end of September 2014 - there is a chance it could role on. Immediately available candidates would be ideal.
Client: A global technology/news and gaming giant
The client’s Lifestyle features contain three core channels: Her, Wellbeing and Travel. They have a new culture of up-to the minute, real-time news and content within a fast paced, creative environment that reflects the “Best of Now” strategy and sits within the parent channel, Lifestyle.
Working mainly for the Her channel, the Lifestyle Editor may also support Travel and Wellbeing from time to time. The Lifestyle Editor will source, produce and develop content to reflect the Best of Now strategy. From breaking news style features to insightful commentary on the latest celebrity looks, reports on hot new travel destinations to real-life stories, you’ll know all about the latest trends as well as what’s hot on the fitness scene.
Her Managing Editor
Lifestyle: Her, Travel, Food & Shopping
- Providing real-time, up to the minute original content to deliver the Best of Now strategy.
- Securing exclusives for the channel through effective networking with relevant names in the industry.
- Be flexible and available to attend and cover live events outside of working hours, and attend key industry launches and celebrity events.
- Ensure we are ahead of our competitors in terms of timely, original content, and beating rivals on breaking news.
- Work closely with the international team to ensure content is mapped to other territories.
- Participate in weekend and out-of-hours rota, which includes 8am starts.
- Work with the Senior Editors in delivering Best of Now content across fashion, beauty, health, travel and Wellbeing.
- Develop a strong and distinct tone of voice in these areas.
- Assist the Managing Editor and Senior Editors in taking the Lifestyle offering to new levels of storytelling.
- Liaise with the Managing Editor, Senior Editors and NEP team on a daily basis to ensure breaking news is represented in the trending blog, and on the homepage modules.
- Increase engagement across the Lifestyle’s social platforms such as Facebook and Twitter. - Show initiative and willingness to go the extra mile to gain access to must-have content, by building strong industry relationships.
- Assist the Managing Editor and Senior Editors in developing and experimenting with new strands and formats of content.
- Monitor celebrity style stories online and react fast.
- Work closely with Fashion and Travel PRs to secure top names in the channels.
- Attend events to promote the Lifestyle and source stories.
Key Success Criteria:
- Increase user engagement through close monitoring of unique users, dwell time, social targets.
- Creation of new and original content strands and ideas across all channels.
- Beat rivals on breaking news.
- Build industry relationships to extend our access to key celebrities and industry heavyweights.
- Increase traffic to mobile, slate devices and search transfers.
- Increase social engagement with the site.
- Increase searching transfers
- Developing new sponsorship opportunities.
- Ensuring channels hit PV target.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Essential Experience
- Proven experience of executing fashion and beauty-focused daily news agenda for a large online audience.
- Fantastic list of existing contacts.
- Proven experience in interviewing celebrities.
- A track record of celebrity fashion and beauty content, with an emphasis on news.
- Must be passionate about popular culture and have a nose for the latest buzz in this area.
- You will have your finger on the pulse of current fashion and beauty trends and know what will be popular with users.
- You understand what makes a topical, news-worthy Travel feature and what inspires the audience.
- Must be a lover of all things social media, and be ready to respond quickly and efficiently to news that breaks through this medium.
- Must have a close on eye competitor sites and understand strengths and weaknesses of other competitors to position own unique content.
- Must have a proven track record in spotting great pictures and know how to sell them with an original angle.
- Must write stop-you-in-your-tracks headlines and copy and be able to crop and manipulate images to a high standard.
- Be able to demonstrate an ability to operate under pressure and change priorities through the day as stories move on.
- Must react quickly to produce up-to-the-minute content through trending blogs, and smart use of contributors including social writers.
- Must be able to demonstrate an ability to identify stories, which reflect the Best of Now agenda.
- Technical / Functional Skills:
- Adobe Photoshop
- Excellent knowledge of social media.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Good understanding of SEO.
- Personal Attributes / Interpersonal Skills
- Very strong team player but with ability to work on own initiative.
- Be willing to respond to any content requests at the last minute.
- Should be creative and demonstrate an ability to take an ordinary story and make it stand out from the crowd.
- Should be motivated to make every word count and beat the competition.
- Must be confident in giving presentations.
**Editing experience required. Strong writing, editing, project management, communication and organisation skills required. Must have the ability to prioritise multiple tasks and work as part of a team. Bachelor's degree in Journalism, English or a field related to the subject area in which they will be working is required. Special Requirements/Additional Information e.g. Language skills.**
These job descriptions are examples. Looking for work?Find JobsFind Jobs
Job Title: Lifestyle Editor