We are seeking a strong Lifestyles editor that will focus on the Her channel within a huge technology/entertainment company. You will work on SEO, social media and blogging as well as writing engaging, exciting articles around lifestyle for the Her channel.
You will have a proven background within an editorial position where you have managed others and experience working within a fast paced online entertainment. You will have a strong social media presence and ideally have worked in a similar role within one of the Glossies for mags such as Marie-Claire, Glamour etc. from the online presence.
You will be passionate about Lifestyles and women’s magazines/websites with a strong blogging presence. You will ideally have a qualification in journalism (this is not essential however) and will have excellent CMS and Photoshop experience as well as subbing skills. If you have reporting tools knowledge and budget tracking knowledge that would be a big bonus.
The four key skills required are:
- Excellent writing skills
- Background on a consumer site
- Bags of good contacts within the industry
- Lots of fresh new ideas
The client wants someone who is passionate about what they do, a strong team player and happy to go to events if required outside of hours. You will be working in a small team of 6 and will be expected to attend events such as fashion shows so must be comfortable with this.
The role is paying between £38000 – 42000 and will run until the 30th June 2013 potentially longer.
The Her Channel is an important part of the client’s business. Across all channels, they have a new culture of up-to the minute, real-time news and content within a fast paced, creative content environment that reflects their “Best of Now” strategy and sits within the parent channel of Lifestyle.
The candidate needs to become the face of this channel in the UK. They need to live and breathe women’s lifestyle and all the issues that women in the UK might be interested in including fashion, health, beauty, relationships and sexual health.
They need to act as an ambassador, to firmly put the channel on the map, gaining access to events, get the channel noticed, get it nominated for awards and appear in the media to represent the channel.
The candidate needs to be able to quickly react to breaking news, both with the ability to generate news and comment themselves or have an impressive list of contacts on hand to commission top flight writers to assist. They also need to be comfortable telling stories in a number of different ways including words, pictures, video, and other ways to come in the future.
They need to positively embrace and influence others through social media and understand how especially important it is in this industry.
This senior-level role requires the careful day-to-day management of junior personnel who will be part of the channel’s shared resources. You will require people management skills, as well as an ability to cooperate proactively with peer-level colleagues with whom the candidate will have to share limited resources in order to achieve the common goals of our group.
The candidate will also need to act as a leader and representative on their subject area and at ease with dealing with senior management, presenting to large groups, and agencies and clients.
- Be engaging - participative, create debate. The candidate needs to be able to reach out to its users and understand their wants and needs.
- Be first, or if you can’t be, move the story on. The candidate needs to be able to work quickly and accurately and be on top of their industry and all the key stories.
- Be fresh, bold & original – tone and content. What you write for the channel – and what you communicate – needs to follow this principle at all times.
- Write the way people talk – to their friends. Their copy needs to be full of energy and enthusiasm. They need to be absolutely enthralled with all aspects that effect a woman’s life. They need to be able to communicate this energy onto everything they do.
- Be picture led – pictures drive the clicks. The candidate needs to have an eye for high quality photography, and plenty of ideas of how photos could be better used to bring women’s lifestyle to life in the channel.
- Less planning, more reaction: the candidate will be able to quickly adjust their activity to suit breaking news. For example, they will know the right freelance to contact who can get them a news story within the hour if need be, and a reaction piece within two hours.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Experience in managing direct reports or leading a team to excellence.
- A bulging book of excellent industry contacts within the female lifestyle industry
- Proven experience of setting and leading women’s lifestyle focused daily news agenda for a large online audience.
- Proven track record in launching large scale editorial initiative, sponsorship, or vertical.
- Must have a track record of smart news judgment.
- Must have a deep understanding of social media, and be ready to respond quickly and efficiently to news that breaks through this medium.
- Must have a close on eye competitor sites and understand strengths and weaknesses of other competitors to position MSN’s own unique content.
- Must have a proven track record in spotting great pictures and know how to sell them with an original angle.
- Must write stop-you-in-your-tracks headlines.
- Be able to demonstrate an ability to operate under pressure.
- Must react quickly to produce up-to-the-minute articles.
- Must be able to demonstrate being able to identify stories which reflect the client’s Best of Now agenda.
- Demonstrate a great eye for pictures and how to turn them into stories.
- Interest in, and/or experience of any of the following different subject areas is desirable but not essential: travel, food.
Technical / Functional Skills
- Adobe Photoshop – intermediate level or above
- MS Office – intermediate level or above
- High degree of computer literacy
- Good knowledge of social media.
- 1,000+ followers on personal Twitter account (desirable)
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Good leadership skills.
- Good understanding of SEO
- Experience using CMSs
- Experience using Omniture (desirable)
- Numeracy and comfort with performance metrics and delivering on them
- Should be educated to degree level and/or possess relevant industry experience
These job descriptions are examples. Looking for work?Find JobsFind Jobs