We are hiring an Interior Designer with a Global retail brand with current knowledge of industry trends in retail store and restaurant design along with retail, hospitality or restaurant design or development organization including management of construction documents. This job contributes to our client's success by creating furniture, finish and material solutions that supports varied customer need states and points of distribution. High end commercial design development. Interior and design experience. Management of various design projects and operations. Retail or restaurant design. Working knowledge of CAD drafting using Revit, Microstation or AutoCAD software. Must have 5+ years experience.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
Leadership – The successful candidate will work closely with the Senior Design Manager responsible for Design direction as part of a small design and implementation team.
The role will include the following key responsibilities.
• Execute Design strategy for concepts team on current thinking and lessons learned. Provide clear, effective and timely communication of design direction and changes to consultants and internal Project Managers.
• Identify exceptions, proposes design solutions and resolves issues with Design Manager, Director, and Key stakeholders.
• Work closely with Design Manager and VP to elevate design.
Planning and Execution –
Contributes to Store Development Business Goals with Construction & Real Estate by achieving target deliverables on number of stores. Designs stores within parameters of individual store budgets and market requirements with alignment from Construction and Real Estate based on direction from the Design manager.
• Provide Design Development Drawings giving full direction to outside documentation consultants suitable for permitting and construction.
• Communicate clearly design intents, key details, and components through the execution of floor plans, elevations, key details, equipment call outs, signage descriptions, and 3D modeling.
• Coordinate on schedules with alignment from Project Management, Construction and Real Estate.
Business Requirements - Providing functional expertise and executing functional responsibilities:
• Ensures alignment across cross functional teams and regional and market teams on individual store designs. Participates in schematic reviews with Operations and Design Reviews with Global Design.
• Manages the architectural design process by assessing the scope of the project through review of surveys and deal documents. Responsible for the development of all schematic drawings.
• Manages the production of construction documents by designers and consultants. Ensures all intended scope of work, needs and code requirements are met on drawings. Checks drawings for design intent. Conducts site visits as needed.
Summary of Experience
• Retail, hospitality or restaurant design or development organization including management of construction documents (5 years)
• Project management of multiple projects (2 years)
• Managing outside architectural, MEP and other design consultants (2 years)
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Current knowledge of industry trends in retail store and restaurant design
• Current working knowledge of building and health codes and compliance issues
• Demonstrated 3D visualization ability and working knowledge of color and design principles
• Ability to balance design, with operational needs and budget objectives resulting in exceptional store environments
• Ability to execute multiple designs under tight deadlines
• Skilled in the visual, written and verbal communication of design issues
• Ability to translate stated design principles / objectives into unique and varied store locations
• Knowledge of architectural details and specifications for construction document production
What does a typical work day entail? What are the daily tasks/responsibilities/deliverables?
Attend Cross functional meetings with representatives of business units, project managers, and construction managers. Coordinate via voice and electronic communications with design consultants and construction managers regarding design intents, details, and construction trouble shooting. Design Stores using floor plans, 3D models, color palette schedules, and equipment schedules.
Creating and executing design strategy for concepts team
Manage design process from inception through schematics and DDs
Manage both larger and smaller projects from larger environmental projects to smaller exhibit and booth projects.
What are the must/nice to have skills you are looking for?
The ability to take inputs and requests from a variety of sources while staying on course towards the primary design goals. An ability to communicate clearly and concisely both verbally and written is important.
Have the ability to be efficient and decisive in producing high quality design direction.
Be able to state and defend a design concept. Be able to listen and compromise or adjust direction on the fly.
Thrive on a certain amount of ambiguity given that this is brand being defined. Relish the opportunity to contribute to its success and growth.
Have a good sense of balance and value for interior detailing, casework, lighting, and materials selection.
Ability to think conceptually
Strong visual presentations skills; sketching, Sketchup, Revit, Photoshop, V-ray etc
Enjoy and strong at presenting work in design charettes and reviews
Ability to work in a team setting
Flexibility; may work on more than one project at a time