The world loves TV! But the traditional world of video content distribution and consumption is changing dramatically. It’s no surprise my Client’s Entertainment UX teams are leading the way, making them a top provider of digital television entertainment services, delivering a premium video experience through state-of-the-art technology, and unmatched programming to more than 37 million customers in the U.S. and Latin America.
To maintain our lead in a competitive, ever changing industry, my Client is looking for a talented Interaction designer to join our team to help create the next generation design of our multi-platform entertainment experiences.
In this role you'll be a key member of a new, dynamic team, creating innovative interaction and motion design that inspires the entire organization to think bigger.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- UX and UI Design: Grounded in a fundamental understanding of UX and UI design best practices, you will design and animate cross-platform solutions that inspire business, product, and engineers to dream bigger.
- Collaboration: You will be part of creative brainstorming, ideation, rapid-prototyping, and problem-solving with other UX and UI designers, engineers and stakeholders across multiple projects. This includes innovative design solutions across TV, web, tablet and mobile experiences to ensure the best experience across all media.
- Inspire: You will present your ideas to everyone from small working teams to key stakeholders to inspire all of us to think bigger and broader about new interactive solutions. Your work will be an integral part of selling through ideas and getting sign-off.
- Test (Research Participation): You will be working closely with our internal user researchers to test your creative solutions with real customers using low- to high-fidelity interactive prototypes.
- Demonstrate: You will be the interaction design advocate advancing and evolving a common motion design language for a variety of products and platforms throughout the project lifecycle ensuring the best experience gets implemented. This is accomplished through animations, rapid prototypes, software development support, reviews, presentations, and of course making sure your high-quality deliverables meet deadlines.
- Team Culture: Help to foster a fun, collaborative and supportive culture in which we are able to make career-defining work.
Desired Soft Skills & Talents:
- Initiative: A dedication to driving innovative and never-before-seen interactive solutions, anticipating challenges, meeting deadlines, and managing time.
- Inquisitive: Naturally curious about new interaction patterns, technology and hardware, and its relevance and value to people.
- Problem Solving: Develop an understanding of the unique capabilities of every platform, digest the goals and challenges of each project, create implementable solutions, identify pros/cons and make recommendations.
- Collaboration: Work effectively within and across teams with multiple personality types and cultural backgrounds. Contribute productively and respectfully to debates during solution development.
- Communication: Crystal clarity in speech, writing, and presentations to a variety of audiences (ex: engineers, managers, executives).
- Curiosity: Always keeping both eyes open to really understand how our customers consume media, abandoning preconceptions. Always willing to learn whatever skills it takes to execute and demonstrate your ideas in the clearest way possible.
- Receptivity: Able to learn quickly and apply new knowledge adeptly.
- Agility: Works comfortably in a fast-paced, evolving environment. Able to execute multiple ideas in a single day through a process of rapid prototyping.
Required Knowledge & Experience:
- Degree in graphic design, interface (UI) design, interaction design, UX, computer programming or equivalent in related work experience.
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience in user-centered design and/or UI design.
- Proficient in industry-standard design processes.
- Impeccable sense of timing and finesse in motion design, and an understanding of how different types of motion can elicit different emotional responses.
Online portfolio required, demonstrating:
- Exceptional web, consumer electronics and/or similar entertainment product design that is well-thought out and of high quality
- Examples of cross-platform interaction design, taking into account a variety of input mechanisms (touch, click, remote control)
- Ability to write accurate, clear, concise and thorough specification documents that ensure optimal implementation
- Experience designing innovative solutions for the TV (10’ Design) a plus
- Adobe Design Suite (especially After Effects) and Sketch
- Omnigraffle, Axure or equivalent
- Interaction and motion design that accounts for second screen, gesture, voice, VR, AR and more.
- Prototyping with FramerJS or front-end development (HTML, CSS, JS).
- App development for iOS and Android using XCode, Android Studio.
- Rapid interactive prototyping with motion/transitions as a core part of the experience.
- Video editing and/or animation for broadcast design and motion graphics.