We have an exciting opportunity working at a leading Fortune 500 organization in downtown San Francisco. They are looking for a freelance Instructional Designer for the remainder of the year with the opportunity to extend into 2019.
The Instructional Designer is responsible for developing innovative and engaging learning experiences to support overall store curriculum. This includes working collaboratively with SMEs and Development production teams to create learning content using adult learning principles and should incorporate mixed media and sound instructional design/development methodologies. The ideal candidate possesses a combination of creative instructional design skills and technical knowledge and is passionate about building best in class learning, implementing new technologies, in a fast-paced and
constantly changing environment.
The investment in training and education for employees is unparalleled in the retail industry—both in product knowledge and in career development. Our education department is integral to the success of the company because we strongly believe that investing in our employees as beauty experts is what sets us apart. From product 101 to application techniques to artistry and trend, the education department drives the training strategy and provides the tools for our store employees to be the most knowledgeable in the industry.
• Design and develop blended learning curriculum, job aids, assessment tools, and facilitator guides that incorporate
adult learning principles resulting in personalized and relevant content, knowledge retention, and applied skills that
support the client experience
• Conduct analysis to determine learning and performance objectives and scalable instructional strategies and
• Communication with SMEs and cross-functional teams to define deliverables, project framework, milestones, and
content is clear and understandable to the entire production team and partners.
• Coordinate, manage and execute all aspects of training development including storyboarding, building and revising
training based on SME input.
• Establish and maintain relationships with cross functional partners, identify SME needs, and streamline multiple
content sources for cohesive storytelling and optimal learner retention.
• Conduct tests to assess effectiveness of training solution
• Ensure training content adheres to overall Education and brand strategy, as well as technical specifications and
• Serve as subject matter expert in development trends, training tools and platforms while continuously exploring
new and innovative approaches
• Communicate regularly with stakeholders proposing recommendations and innovative learning solutions to solve
organization needs and advocate for the learner experience, and develop program updates accordingly
• Connect with EDU and Field partners to ensure the integration of relevant learning initiatives and follow-up
activities to drive behavioral change within the organization
• Manage contractors to support curriculum development, as needed.
We’re excited about you if you have:
• 3+ years instructional design experience focused on instructor-led, digital (i.e. eLearning, webinars, interactive
pdfs etc) and blended learning.
• Demonstrated expertise in effective Instructional Design methodologies to drive Education strategies; experience
in curriculum development for retail, beauty or corporate environments, preferred
• Proven ability to manage projects and partner with various levels in the organization
• Proficiency in eLearning tools (Captivate 2017, Articulate 360, Camtasia etc), Responsive Design, Audio editing
program (i.e. Audacity), and Learning Management Systems (i.e. Cornerstone) a plus
• Intermediate to advanced skill in Adobe Create Cloud, Microsoft Office, HTML5 and CSS
Experience with graphic design, video, micro-learning, responsive design, gamification, simulations,
animation/motion graphics preferred
• High-level attention to detail and accuracy in execution of work and tasks
Ability to travel as required