Field Service Technical Writer
The Field Service Technical Writer produces high-quality service documentation that contributes to the overall success of our products and customer satisfaction. You will join a team of talented writers who collaborate with SMEs to produce installation, service, PM guides and more. Our field engineers use these documents to install and maintain cutting-edge scientific instruments at customer sites.
· Bachelor Degree or equivalent.
· 5+ years of experience as a highly productive technical or instructional writer. Experience producing service documentation in the biotech industry a plus.
· Experience with these tools: MadCap Flare (primary authoring environment; HTML and PDF). Expert knowledge preferred; Microsoft Office (strong to expert); Acrolinx, Adobe Acrobat, SnagIt (or similar); Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom (mid-level proficiency)
· Attentive to publications standards and processes; and equipped with excellent grammatical and editorial skills. An eye for detail and consistency is essential.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills. The position relies on effective engagement with many groups (product managers, product support, training, hardware/software engineers, and QA). The best candidate quickly gains a reputation as a strong partner who intelligently coordinates input from multiple stakeholders, and deals effectively with ambiguous or missing information.
· Excellent organizational and time management skills. Must be able to juggle multiple projects with tight deadlines, while being flexible to accommodate shifting schedules
· Quick learner. It is necessary to understand product operation at a high level, and write for an engineering audience.
· Self-starter. Must be able to take projects and run with them with very little supervision.
Job duties include but are not limited to
· Work with Product Support, Training, and Field Service Engineering to write/revise technical documentation including installation, service, and PM guides. Gather content using a variety of methods including interviewing SMEs, observing demos, using instruments and software.
· Produce high-quality documentation that is appropriate for the multiple skill levels of field engineers.
· Take photographs and work with graphics illustrator to convert them to technical drawings.
· Adhere to style guidelines to ensure consistent quality work.
· Release finished documentation to Document Control (SAP); maintain organized records of all materials, drafts, and previous versions
· Successfully manage multiple projects from concept to release under tight deadlines and external dependencies.