Human-centered insights are critical to how we do our best work. Experience Designers or Design Researchers help our teams understand people and culture to inspire and inform design. They guide clients and teams through this research to discover, interpret, and communicate insights and opportunities in an inspiring way, while contributing to all phases of the design process.
We are looking for applicants who have backgrounds in Design Research related to planning and strategy for brand/marketing with the ability to create visual design artifacts based on project needs. He or she will work closely with clients, the Creative Director, Account Manager, Traffic Manager, Printers and anyone else involved in the development of a project.
- Lead all aspects of design research on a project
- Create research plans and tools that are unique to client needs and constraints of projects
- Plan and lead: interviews, observations sessions, remote studies, concept feedback, participatory design or any other methods you feel will help a team move forward
- Lead teams through synthesis of insights necessary to fuel design and strategy
- Help craft stories that bring insights to life in emotionally compelling ways (i.e. video, audio, engaging decks, or other formats)
- Actively participate in the design of concepts and strategy fueled by insights
- Help teams and clients engage with design research, teaching along the way
- Be an effective designer. On certain projects, the Design Researcher will function as the primary visual designer responsible for delivering compelling concepts and design
Qualifications/Requirements: Planning/Strategy Focused
- Have experience creating imaginative, unique and inspirational design briefs for brand campaigns, marketing and communication, or similar outcomes
- Have personally conducted research and elicited feedback, whether from customers or stakeholders, for brand concepts in novel and compelling ways beyond traditional marketing approaches
- Are comfortable with digital technology and conversant about the pieces of the product development life cycle.
- 3-5 years of design research experience with depth in ethnographic and other qualitative research methods including: interviews, observation, diary studies, prototyping
- Are able to apply these methods at different stages of the design process including: inspiring early design exploration, inform the initial opportunity, collect formative feedback to support iteration, and validate a go-to-market solution.
- Are comfortable and conversant in best practices for surveys, analytics, A/B, multivariate testing, and are eager to learn more.
- Have played a hands-on role in helping turn your insights into tangible products other designed outcomes (we’re looking for more than decks and research reports).
- Have exceptional communication and storytelling skills, especially to clients unfamiliar with design research. Fluency in multiple media for storytelling–while grounding storytelling in research–a bonus.
- Are comfortable in a self-directed culture and navigating ambiguity.
- Able to work on a high volume of projects
- 5+ years in an in-house design environment or Agency
- Technical Skills:
- Proficient in InDesign, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, Word and PowerPoint.