Our client is a AAA game development studio located in downtown Vancouver, Canada. They are the official home of a world renowned video game franchise and their objective is to push the limits on entertainment platforms and devices. The team is comprised of deep creative and technical expertise from the industry’s top shooter and action titles, working cohesively to delight the fan base and shatter expectations of what is possible.
They are seeking a highly creative and motivated Lighting Artist. In this position, you will be expected to help create visually stunning scenes. You will also be expected to play a role in solving technical problems through collaboration with Art and Engineering.
- Work closely with Art, Cinematic and Programming Teams to create industry leading visuals across a variety of environments, characters and cinematic sequences.
- Craft compelling lighting which supports story, art direction and gameplay objectives.
- Translate conceptual illustrations into outstanding real-time lighting visuals.
- Work with Art and Programming teams to anticipate and solve technical challenges within given constraints and visual requirements.
- Be proactive about seeking feedback and communication with the Art Directors, Lighting Lead, Cinematic Director and other relevant departments.
- Develop and maintain a strong understanding of current industry technology, constraints and trends.
- Participate in portfolio reviews, recruitment interviews, and assist in finding and retaining talent.
- Must have 3-5 years of experience in video games, film/television. Experience shipping AAA games preferable.
- Art-related degree and/or comparable professional experience
- Outstanding knowledge of both real-time and pre-rendered lighting principals (dynamic lighting, light bake solutions, sub surface scattering, HDR, physically based rendering)
- Thorough understanding of how light, shadow and color create tone and mood.
- Exceptional grasp for compositional storytelling and cinematography.
- Understanding of VFX, cinematic or feature film animation production pipelines and workflows.
- Background in real world photography, cinematography and lighting a plus.
- Relevant 2D and 3D software experience - Maya, Photoshop, Proprietary Lighting Tools.
- Ability to work collaboratively - must be open to direction and able to embrace change.
- Unreal Engine or other games engine experience a plus
- Ability to organize and manage time effectively to meet deadlines