Our client, a non-profit organization in the D.C. Metro area, is looking for an Editorial Researcher/Fact Checker. This person will be supporting the research department for print and web and will fact-check copy for multiple platforms which include the website, Bulletin and ATM – under deadline. They will track and review copy throughout the editorial work flow to meet deadlines and quality goals, and provide front-end research for story development as needed.
This position is essential to the organization's member value and social impact. It is necessary for each article to be checked, then reviewed twice more by the researcher. The researcher is responsible for signing off on the final version of each article before it goes on any of the media platforms. This position requires someone who is able to size up a piece of writing and confirm all the facts are correct. This can be less straightforward than it sounds, because it means coming to understand the nuances of the subject being written about and evaluating the sources that it comes from. The ideal candidate will have worked in this field for four or more years, for print publications and online.
- Support the research department for print and web
- Ensure timely delivery of accurate and quality copy
- Fact-check copy for all three platforms - website, Bulletin and ATM – under deadline
- Track and review copy throughout the editorial work flow to meet deadlines and quality goals.
- Provide front-end research for story development as needed
- At least 4+ years of experience fact-checking for an online or print publication
- Must possess excellent research skills and knowledge of fact-checking procedures
- Must be skilled at gathering information from various sources
- Must be able to interpret and translate complex statistical and technical data into plain English
- Must be detail-oriented, organized, and able to meet multiple deadlines
- Must be able to work independently
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are essential