WE ARE LOOKING FOR A STELLAR DESIGN DIRECTOR (VISION + LEADERSHIP for our Fortune 500 technology client. This is a full time/direct hire opportunity located in Mountain View.
We need your vision + leadership expertise to bring to life new financial user experiences with current and emerging technologies. You will apply your experience and skills to develop new visual systems, future user interfaces and deliver these via prototypes, videos, apps - working with our designers, prototypers, engineers and data scientists.
WHO YOU ARE?
- Futuristic, thinking 10 years out
- Executing and introducing emerging technology
- MUST HAVE: Experience building out VR, AI, AR, Wearables, IoT, blockchain,etc.
- Technology Evangelist
- Voice of design for the team
- Ability to tell a story
- Lead the team on a journey
- Design rationale; how did you land on this decision
- Service design experience
- Must have a "can do" attitude
- Excellent communication skills
- Raise the enthusiasm
- Conversational UI
- The ability to take the user on a journey
- Be bold and no predictability
- Inspiring Leader
- Excited and passionate about innovation and products
- Business influencer
- Can deliver
- Data Visualization is a plus
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
1. DESIGN VISION (50%)
You think big and can deliver.
• You are senior enough to know how things are made at a system level, are able see how a concept would evolve over time.
• You possess strong design communication skills to articulate design futures in a thoughtful and emotionally engaging manner, to all partners including executives.
• You keep up on current trends in art, design, society and beyond, and have well-formed opinions that might differ from other thought leaders.
• You possess a clear personal philosophy of what you consider ‘good design’.
2. DESIGN LEADERSHIP (50%)
You lead not manage.
• You lead by Doing, happy to sweat the details as well as paint the vision.
• You lead others with empathy, encouragement and clarity.
• You enjoy helping others grow, not just your own growth.
• You deliver results with the team, maintaining healthy work/life balance for all.
• You thrive on making order out of ambiguity.
• You lead with a design mindset & a positive optimistic demeanor.
• You have experience directing external agencies and contractors.
• You enjoy the frequent pivoting that is part of design exploration.
• You have experience in forming highly functioning teams, who are clear on what’s required but empowered by you to be the best they can be.
• DESIGN EXCELLENCE:
Plan, lead and deliver design visions, frameworks, and emotionally compelling design assets for an array of projects that influence & inform the future product and business strategies.
Negotiate, communicate, and share discoveries to influence stakeholders and create energy around new ideas and initiatives. Share innovative design best practices with internal and external audiences.
• TEAM EXCELLENCE:
Guide the team to deliver world class work; via inspiration + design ops rigor. Extend that excellence beyond innovation to the larger community.
• FUTURE SENSE:
Understand the latest tech, trends, events within the tech industry and culture.
TO BE SUCCESSFUL ON THE TEAM, YOU WILL NEED:
• To lead not manage.
• Embrace ambiguity as a challenge and transform ambiguity into clarity.
• Build relationships that strengthen our group’s impact.
• Stellar communication skills to connect with partners and senior stakeholders.
• A human centered design mindset to ground and inform our work.
• Drive innovation in the team by staying on top of latest trends and tools.
• A passion to continuously evolve your craft.
• A dazzling portfolio, with core strength in design leadership.
• An accomplished design leader, with 10+ years of experience and 5+ years of experience leading and/or building high functioning design teams.
• A phenomenal communicator and strong design coach, with an uncanny ability to bring people along across an organization.
• An ops wizard; organized, self-directed, efficient and can manage multiple, complex projects.
• Experience with design + dev across multiple platforms; web, mobile, wearables, VR and …
• A brand rock-star, able to translate strategy to execution.
• Deep knowledge of design principles, methods and tools.
• Educated and experienced. You are someone with a degree in Design, Human Computer Interaction or a related field, or equipped with many years of comparable work experience.
Client will provide relocation within United States