The Director of Communications is responsible for developing and implementing communications strategy and plans and directly managing marketing, public relations, and communications activities that promote, enhance, and protect our client’s brand and contribute to its annual revenue and program goals. Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance the client’s overall strategic plan and brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; meet revenue goals and increase the visibility of its enterprises across key stakeholder audiences;
Major Job Responsibilities
1. Communications strategy
Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications and revenue opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
2. Marketing and Public Relations Oversee the gathering, framing, and dissemination of information, stories, press releases
Implement and evaluate market research and adjust marketing and public relations strategy to meet changing market and competitive conditions;
Develop and execute national promotional and awareness campaigns with corporate sponsors;
Prioritize media opportunities, prepare organization key messages and conduct media training with key volunteers;
Work with development staff to integrate development messaging into communications plan to meet organization revenue goals;
Leverage new and existing corporate relationships to disseminate organizational messages.
3. Web, Electronic and Online Communications Develop strategy and supporting tactics for websites, e-communications, social media and online advertising, with emphasis on recruiting donors, volunteers and event participants;
Identify leading technological trends and opportunities and implement appropriate new solutions that will expand the organization’s reach through online and other digital media platforms;
Oversee design, updates and maintenance of websites;
Develop and oversee plan for search engine marketing activities including pay-per-click advertising campaigns and search engine optimization tactics.
4. Publications Oversee development and production of print communications including the annual report, the Psoriasis Advance magazine, and all marketing and public relations collateral materials;
Identify opportunities to increase circulation of organization's magazine.
5. Business Development Inform corporate relations and development strategy by following relevant market trends and communications innovations;
Identify emerging opportunities for third-party advertisers on online and print communications;
6. Department Management and Operations Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications program including budgeting, planning and staff development;
Recruit and manage a team of employees and contractors to support the development and execution of the communications strategy;
Establish and monitor staff performance, assign responsibilities, set objectives, establish priorities, and conduct annual performance appraisals;
Oversee relationships with programmers, designers, writers, printers, and other vendors.
III. Position Qualifications and Requirements Bachelors degree in communications, marketing, PR or related field;
Five to 7 years’ experience in a management role either in-house or with an agency;
Extensive successful writing and editing experience;
Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications program to advance an organization’s mission and goals;
Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker;
Experience in building, mentoring, and coaching a team of communications specialists;
Self reliant, good problem solver, results oriented;
Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs.
If this sounds like you, apply now!