Rporting to the Manager, Social Media and Content, the Digital Content Manager will curate, track and measure revenue-generating content for various owned channels including the Community, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
Candidate will ideate, research, fact-check, create, edit and optimize written, pictorial and video content for deployment in various channels and distribution to the enterprise that consistently articulates the organization’s mission in alignment with company brand strategies and current social media best practices.
A successful candidate will lead a wide range of content initiatives, both internal and external, to help drive conversion and sales, as well as increase acquisition, engagement, retention and brand awareness. He or she will be a masterful wordsmith, have a knack for syntax, and passion for journalism, content curation and the pet retail space. Looking for an experienced storyteller who can create an emotional connection between our brand and the impact it has on our customers; thereby helping to further establish Petco as the most trusted source for pet parents. Candidate must be adaptable and able to continually problem-solve and navigate the ever-changing digital space.
This is a new position within the Social Media and Content team, and this candidate will need to be comfortable with both managing content and executing tactics while working with limited resources.
Essential Job Functions:
• Ideate, research, fact-check, create, augment, write, edit, track and/or evaluate accurate, relevant, authoritative and entertaining content for multiple digital channels using a variety of software, programs and tools. Focus on content to be posted in the company Community for sharing in company owned channels—as well as inclusion in emails and on the website. Enter all blog content (copy, imagery, infographics, digital banners and video) in the Community. Manage content syndication, promotion and sharing. These functions serve to further position the company as the most trusted source for pet parents, while also helping to drive acquisition, retention and conversion.
• Maintain daily Content editorial calendars for distribution internally and externally. Includes working with key internal and external stakeholders to determine how products, promotions, events, campaigns, holidays, brand launches and initiatives can be best supported and tracked by the Social Media and Content team, ensuring that all priorities are supported via social media marketing.
• Manage both internal and external agencies, designers and writers to align with company style, voice, brand and monthly themes to ensure a ruthlessly consistent brand experience for each audience. Work includes paperwork, budget, routing, managing content, and managing timelines. Suggest new pet care topics to cover and continue to improve upon existing content in order to stay current with pet care trends; work with contract writers to help generate new content. Monitor breaking news, pop culture and trends for new content marketing opportunities.
• Meticulously audit existing content articles in the Community and content library to identify content gaps and advise on future content pieces as well as which blogs to sunset. Play critical role in creating capability to ensure Content is an ever-improving, high-engagement center of excellence for information, messaging support and communications counsel. This includes measuring, evaluating and revising strategies, tactics and processes to continuously improve overall program effectiveness.
• Manage extensive library of stock imagery, in-house assets and videos for use in all social channels; Photoshop skills required. Experience with a content CMS a plus.
• Candidate must be intuitive with solid interpersonal communication, technical problem-solving skills and conflict resolution skills and excel at being resourceful and finding everything needed to create the perfect customer experience.
• Engage key stakeholders in efforts to create promoters and, in the case of detractors, explore ways to find common ground on even the most difficult issues. Lead the work to develop appropriate messages, materials and actions to proactively improve company reputation.
Occasional overnight travel by car or air may be required.
Manage several agencies, designers and writers to ensure all content aligns with company style, voice, brand and monthly themes to ensure a ruthlessly consistent brand experience for each audience.
• Undergraduate degree in marketing, journalism, communications or related field and 5 to 7 years of copywriting/editorial experience in an advertising or marketing related environment preferred.
• Exceptional writer and excellent communicator with an ability to monetize social content.. Ability to write, edit and measure social content.
• Experience managing and maintaining a blog—either personal or business related.
• Journalism experience preferred.
• Training and experience in how to tell a story using words, videos, images, graphics or audio and an understanding of how to create content that draws an audience.
• Ability to demonstrate the personal and emotional impact of our work, as well as the data surrounding the measurable outcomes.
• Skill at both long-form content creation and real-time (immediate) content creation and distribution strategies and tactics.
• Experience creating compelling messages for different audiences.
• SEO experience preferred.
• Ability to troubleshoot a variety of bugs and error messages and navigate network challenges with success.
• Proficient in Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Photoshop, blogging platforms, CMS, YouTube, IBM Digital Analytics, HTML, posting to social networks, Coremetrics tagging and an ability to learn new software quickly.
• Strong ability to build and develop relationships with internal stakeholders and partners.
• Self-motivated, good at taking initiative and comfortable operating under a degree of ambiguity.
• Must have a basic knowledge of pets, including dogs, cats, small animals, reptiles, aquatics and birds.
• Passionate about animal welfare and educating pet parents.