Digital Accessibility Specialist
Full-time long-term assignment
Experience/Expertise with JAWS and NVDA for Windows, and VoiceOver for iOS.
The following certifications are not required but are beneficial: Web Accessibility Specialist (WAS) or Certified Professional in Accessibility Core Competencies (CPACC)
Top Daily Responsibilities:
Our client has numerous digital properties including the member-facing site that allows members to access their healthcare anytime anywhere, and its mobile app. They have a strong track record of making its digital properties accessible to everyone including persons with disabilities.
1. Perform and assist with ADA testing (which includes keyboard testing and screen reader testing), assign severity level to defects, and point developers to remediation resources.
2. Develop training materials/accessibility resources and deliver trainings for both business and technical audiences.
3. Provide support to developers and testers in the development of accessible websites and mobile applications.
Skills a Top Candidate Should Have:
1. Ability to interpret and advise on standards, principles and techniques for meeting accessibility success criteria (including WCAG 2.0 AA and WAI-ARIA).
2. Detailed knowledge on WCAG 2.0 AA including limitations of the specific guidelines.
3. Understanding the overlap between user experience and accessibility.
4. Understanding standard controls vs. custom controls, and how WAI-ARIA best practices is used for custom controls.
5. Experience/Expertise using shortcuts and keystrokes.
6. Experience/Expertise with JAWS and NVDA for Windows, and VoiceOver for iOS.
7. Experience setting-up and configuring test tools and assistive devices for testing, such as JAWS and NVDA.
8. Understanding the strategies of persons with disabilities in using assistive technology for the Web and mobile apps.
9. Ability to use automated and manual accessibility testing tools.
10. Ability to recommend strategies and techniques for fixing accessibility defects.
1. Experience with Accessibility Management Platform (AMP).
2. Experience with specification planning along with Program Managers, Designers, and Developers.
3. Experience writing test plans.
1. Ability to work with little supervision, tight timelines, and competing priorities.
2. Experience working in multidisciplinary teams.
3. Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
4. Ability to cross-train and mentor.
5. Accuracy, reliability, and excellent attention to detail.