The Interactive Web Developer is responsible for designing and creating cutting-edge interactive experiences for high
quality online modules, pushing the boundaries of medical educational media. Under the direction of the Faculty
Director of Online Learning and working with other members of the HMS online learning team, the Interactive Web
Developer will work to communicate complex medical and scientific concepts to multiple audiences by creating highly
engaging interactive digital animations, simulations, and innovative assessments.
The Interactive Web Developer shall have an opportunity to make a difference in shaping a unique educational
experience. The ideal candidate should feel comfortable working in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment to design,
develop, and refine interactive visuals, while working closely in conjunction with world-class faculty and a small team of
artists/illustrators. Curiosity, creativity, and initiative are a must, along with strong interpersonal skills, a love of learning,
and a taste for problem-solving and tackling challenges in effective interactive, visual communication.
- Collaborate with faculty including the Faculty Director and the team to conceptualize, design, and develop interactive
diagrams and other tools to effectively communicate medical and scientific concepts
visuals that drive calculations and animations based on user interactivity
- Bring strong creative, programming, and problem-solving skills to translate concepts into interaction and design
- Apply object-oriented coding skills to create re-usable elements (e.g. interactive quiz types)
- Create or work with an illustrator to develop concept models, wireframes, and finished design assets for use in
- Work closely and flexibly with an artist/illustrator to specify and incorporate assets for use in animations and simulations
- When necessary, identify the need for outside interactive services and manage all aspects of relationships with these
consultants and contractors (for example, for 3D animations)
- Incorporate and/or design, create and edit vector graphics in tools such as Illustrator or Sketch; must have deep
familiarity with the workflow for web or mobile using vector assets for resolution independence
- Utilize version control (git preferred) for versioning and sharing of code for all interactive resources
- Work with potential online learning platforms to explore capabilities for optimally interfacing with and displaying
- Work with a back end web developer to incorporate APIs for receiving and sending data from interactive visuals, for
example sending quiz scores or analytics about a learning activity
- Work with faculty including the Faculty Director to identify interaction design strategies and patterns to meet the user
experience and teaching goals of the HMS online external education products
5 or more years of experience in developing high quality interactive web apps and/or visuals, including formats for online
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline preferred, with at least 3 years of experience in relevant
online development with an emphasis on programming and programmatically driven interactivity/animation.
The ideal candidate will have outstanding programming skills along with a solid understanding of HTML5 that they use to
well, with or without frameworks. The ideal candidate also brings skill in interaction/motion design with animation
- Experience developing material for learning and working with faculty a plus
- Knowledge of WebGL a plus
- Experience in designing for mobile delivery a plus
- Demonstration of awards for past interactive work a plus
A user-centric mentality/passion for building products with great user interaction is desired. A curiosity for delving into
and understanding medical topics as needed for developing effective visual communication solutions is desired.
Competency using a variety of computer software including collaboration software such as Google Docs and Dropbox as
well as tools for effectively collaborating on visual assets. Must be highly organized, detail oriented, flexible and able to
handle multiple projects in the pipeline. Knowledge of graphic design, typography, color theory, and layout is a plus.