Across the industry, developers are increasingly shifting focus to mobile-first and cloud-first development. Our Developer Division is responsible for delivering the tools, services, and information resources to make all developers successful and productive in mobile and cloud development. The Developer Division Design Team is responsible for bringing world-class design research to our internal tools and their ecosystems. These tools and services are used by millions of developers worldwide every day to create applications and services. Mobile-first, cloud-first development is changing the way that developers think about the applications they deliver. We are undergoing a complete transformation as we move to a world of devices and services. Extending the incredible productivity of certain tools to multi-device development provides a great opportunity for developers to build rich applications targeting multiple mobile platforms.
We are looking for a Design Research Assistant with the ability to conduct a range of formative and iterative research methods impacting both product direction and detailed experience design. You will work with a supervising Design Researcher and Design Research Manager. You will be joining a team of ~30 talented design researchers and designers whose charter is to design end-to-end experiences for all developers that are useful, usable, and desirable. In this role, you will work in a highly collaborative environment with engineering and business teams across the division to help make data driven decisions. Your work will happen in the context of a lean or agile development environment supporting the release cadence of teams as well as helping define the strategic direction of products. You will have access to a brand new, state of the art, modern research lab facility equipped for a variety of research types located in a central hub area on campus.
- Design and conduct a range of formative and iterative research methods applicable to all product stages from conception to release, including lab based usability tests, focus groups, interviews, surveys, and field research
- Collaborate closely with design, engineering, and business partners during all steps of research
- Translate research findings into actionable recommendations and deliver them in compelling ways
- Triangulate multiple data sources into integrated insights
- Communicate and evangelize research results to engineering and business teams
- A degree in human-computer interaction, cognitive psychology, behavioral science, or related field or equivalent experience
- A minimum of 2 years of industry experience in user research
- Thorough knowledge and experience of a range of UX research approaches and methodologies
- Strong analytical and synthesis skills with a proven ability to turn research results into product insights
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to influence a range of audiences
- Excellent project management skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- The ability to work independently and be flexible to rapidly changing schedules and demands
- The ability to get up to speed with a new area quickly
- Strong aptitude for learning new technologies and familiarity with modern developer platforms and ecosystems a plus