The Packaging Production Artist is responsible for the production of on-time, error-free, and properly constructed mechanicals. Key requirements include expert knowledge of current design software, the ability to communicate and work effectively with business partners, expert level technical knowledge of all facets of mechanical production, and extreme attention to typography, style consistency, and detail.
Top 4 Daily Responsibilities:
- Build, revise and prepare packaging mechanicals for release to pre-press, print and packaging vendors/teams.
- Construct clean digital files for print.
- Work closely with design and editorial staff to ensure creative specifications are met. An eye for design and copy standards is required to execute subsequent versions with little supervision from designers.
- Work closely with Design Production Lead and Program Managers to ensure project goals, details, and deadlines are met.
- Layout of localized copy on packaging artwork.
- Review and approve printer proofs for accuracy.
- Adhere to brand graphic standards and server structure in all files, utilizing processes and policies as outlined in the studio manual, or as specified by the Design Production Manager. - Work with Design Production Manager to evaluate and revise the studio manual, and assist in monitoring and enforcing studio standards.
- Prepare comps and mockups, often at full-size, for use in presentations.
- Manage the organization of large image/asset libraries.
- Assist in the archival and cataloging of digital assets and physical packaging samples.
- Prioritize projects and deadlines, as needed.
- Investigate, test, and recommend alternative production methods, both technical and process-oriented, as needed, to Design Production Manager. Evaluations may involve ROI exercises and presentations to various business partners.
- Assist Design Production Manager in partnering with IT to ensure technical support issues are met.
- Assist in the technical development of Creative Production team.
- Continually manage, and work to improve the quality of department deliverables.
- BA/BS degree in Design.
- At least 5 years production experience in an agency environment.
- Minimum 5 years experience in marketing/advertising/design studio environment.
- Typography and layout skills required
- Superior decision making, troubleshooting, negotiating, influencing and interpersonal skills
- Conflict Management: approaches conflicts as opportunities; understands others quickly; can find common ground without compromising total position.
- Ability to work within a team environment.
- Ability to work and function in ambiguity.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Expert Mac OSX-based knowledge of Adobe CC.
- Expert knowledge of Mac OSX fonts, both PostScript and OpenType.
- Knowledge of color and b/w printers, specifically large-format and high-volume laser (using Fiery or Splash RIP).
- Understanding of, and ability to build and assign ICC profiles to digital files.
- Knowledge of flatbed scanners and other common Mac peripherals.
- Expert knowledge of printing processes and building mechanical art, including knowledge of color separations and common prepress workflows.
- Self-motivated team player; must be able to work efficiently with minimal supervision.
- Great organizational skills, both physically and electronically, with capability to prioritize and manage own time. Assist other staff in prioritizing projects. Work closely with other business partners to ensure timely transfer of project materials to production studio.
- Design skills required to execute iterative mechanical versions.
- Must be able to interpret and communicate creative direction and revisions to production partners.
- Must be physically able to use both digital and traditional production tools, including but not limited to, X-acto blades, Xyron, foam core and other mounting substrates/materials.
Nice to Have Skills:
- Color management skills preferred
- Expert level photo retouching
These job descriptions are examples. Looking for work?Find JobsFind Jobs