Design Manager (fixed-term contract until 8/3/2013)
Reporting to: Brand Communications Manager
Responsible for: Assistant Design Manager
External: Design agencies and photographers
Internal: Brand Communications team and AAT colleagues as appropriate
Client: a finance association in central London with global reach offering qualifications and support for over 100,000 members across 90 countries
To contribute to the growth, customer centricity and innovation of the association by providing an effective in-house design service.
Strategy, planning and implementation
• To assist in the development of the association's brand communications strategy and performance indicators.
• To create, manage and ensure adherence to brand and design guidelines.
• To manage the design of materials in consultation with the designers, the Brand Communications team, external agencies and the key stakeholders on each publication.
• To manage the photography for all materials.
• To oversee the Design Calendar, scheduling and allocation of work according to the job type and team workloads.
• To ensure design work is produced to the highest possible standards and within production deadlines.
• To line manage the designer, developing their design skills and providing constructive design guidance, and feedback on each project.
• To develop both the digital and printed design guidelines.
• To undertake regular audits of existing materials to ensure continued brand consistency and evolution.
• To ensure that all project briefs are fulfilled.
• To advise Project Coordinators on print specifications and best finishes for projects.
• To prepare finished artwork for print, proof read and approve printer’s proofs.
• To ensure all digital design work complies with web best practice and user experience conventions.
• Ensure design knowledge and skills are kept up to date.
• Develop and manage direct reports, including training and development plans, coaching on the job and delegating effectively.
• Make recommendations on training requirements for direct report to the Brand Communications Manager.
• Manage photographers and liaise with external agencies to ensure all collateral is to house style and brand guidelines.
Financial and project management
• To manage photography budget.
• Ensure that the budget is properly controlled and reported.
• Ensure that design best practice procedures, print checklists and house style are developed and adhered to.
• Develop and maintain good working relationships with colleagues within Marketing Division and across the company so as to promote the reputation of the Division as the centre of excellence for
the association's marketing.
• Provide assistance where appropriate to other members of the Marketing Division.
• To develop friendly, positive and supportive relationships with external and internal customers, and to provide them with excellent service.
• Actively to learn from customer feedback, comments and suggestions, including complaints, to review and improve existing processes, and by doing so to anticipate other customer’s needs. To communicate this knowledge to relevant colleagues.
• To meet and exceed team’s customer service standards.
• To understand situations from the customers’ perspective so that appropriate and relevant solutions can be identified.
• Understand and support the association's mission, vision and values as outlined in the business plan.
• Demonstrate a commitment to AAT’s values.
• Demonstrate commitment to and (where possible) an involvement in AAT quality initiatives such as Investors In People (IIP).
• Understand and comply with AAT’s health and safety, security and other policies and procedures.
• To undertake any other duties that may reasonably be required.
• Can demonstrate knowledge and experience of designing graphic communication materials for print, emails and web
• Show understanding of principles of graphic design and practical knowledge of their application
• Knowledge of the principles of marketing
• Knowledge and practical experience in InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat writer
• Principles of web design and practical experience in applying these
• Must demonstrate capability for influencing and negotiating with stakeholders in challenging or complex environment
• Enjoys being part of a team
• Customer centricity – intuitively puts the user at the heart of everything he/she does
• Results oriented approach – focussed on achieving measurable benefits for the organisation
• Can show a portfolio of engaging design concepts and creative execution (ideally for member organisations or targeting similar audiences), which demonstrates how they have applied design principles
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent time and task management skills
• Experience of optimising design for use on websites and other digital channels
• Good negotiating and influencing skills
• Problem solving and creative and lateral thinking
• Good at listening to others, and analysing information
• Demonstrable ability to communicate technical ideas to nontechnical colleagues
• Excellent proof reading skills
• Solid project management skills
• Excellent stakeholder management, and demonstrable skill in gaining support from senior management
• Ability to present ideas clearly and persuasively
• Have designed from concept through to finished artwork for publications, leaflets, emails, and other communication materials.
• Have worked with design software packages, specifically Adobe’s Creative Suite (currently their Apple iMacs are running CS5.5)
• Implemented and managed approval and workflow processes and managed colleagues working within these processes
• Experience of working within a goal-oriented environment
• Experience of managing and developing design and brand guidelines for print and digital media
• Have worked with designers to ensure other (visual) content is brand compliant
• Has shown proactive approach to recommending and implementing improvements to brand design as part of a customer-centred approach
• Experience of working within a wider marketing team or process
• Experience of working within a multi-discipline brand team, and acting as the conduit between marketing and other teams
• Relevant professional / vocational qualifications and portfolio
of relevant work experience
• Self-starter but also a team player
• Capable of building good working relationships (e.g. positive, diplomatic, trustworthy)
• Adaptable and innovative
• Commitment and dedication
• Keen to take ownership and responsibility
• Embraces new ideas but is grounded in reality
These job descriptions are examples. Looking for work?Find JobsFind Jobs
Design Manager (fixed-term contract until 8/3/2013)