The Design Director is responsible for creating design solutions and providing day-to-day direction over multiple design projects as assigned by the Creative Director. Since s/he has mastered the Visual Building Blocks methodology, they ensure projects are consistent with this methodology. Provides back-up to the Creative Director for selected matters. The person in this position manages design resources to ensure schedules and designs are delivered according to. The Design Director works with the Creative Director to maintain the aesthetic standard for creative solutions and oversees production from an aesthetic viewpoint ensuring client requirements are met.
• Design Management – Manages the design aspects of multiple projects using both internal and external resources.
• Leads a design team and delivers creative design solutions for assigned projects.
• Acts as the primary backup to the Creative Director.
• Reviews status of their own design team daily. Reviews work to ensure that work proceeds according to company and client standards, schedule and budget. Promptly alerts team to changes or problems for discussion of impact and options. Alerts Creative Director when outside resources are required.
• Provides design direction and guidance to designers.
• Manages the production and look of “Presentation Blueprints”, which are essential to phase one presentations.
• Updates Creative Director daily on status of projects. Develops alternative action plans as needed.
• Participates in “brainstorming” project meetings. This includes preparation of stimuli to be used at initial brainstorming session, as well as capturing ideas as they are generated with design execution suggestions.
• Prepares sketches and designs including input from all meetings and discussions. Presents design ideas in sketch form.
• Assembles and reviews materials of Work-in-Progress with the Creative Director regularly for confirmation or adjustment
• Attends selected client briefings, strategy sessions, initial client presentation meetings, initial client presentation feedback sessions, to ensure information is carried forward into design activities.
• Ensures essential data provided in brief is reflected in work.
• Attends “brainstorming” sessions to capture ideas and translate into initial presentation; may lead “brainstorming” summary meeting with Account team
• Leads sketch review meetings.
• Attends internal briefings and planning meetings, color CRITS, etc. Reviews bids selected by design teams.
• Supervises and attends photo shoots for projects, including photography pre-production meetings.
• Leads “hand-off” meetings to the Production team.
• Works closely with the Creative Director or CCO to review all final production materials prior to release of production.
• Uses Project System to regularly report progress against objectives.
• Responsible for wrapping up their own design team’s projects; including debrief, proper filing of sketches and samples, outside resources, etc.
• Staff Management & Team Building – Assist the Creative Director in department management.
• Provides day-to-day management and guidance to design team to ensure commitment to excellence and a common creative vision.
• Provides on-going developmental feedback to team and provides input to Design Director regarding staff performance reviews and development matters.
• Attends performance reviews for team members with Creative Director
• Manages outside resources as needed, for assigned projects.
• Responsible for orientation of new design team members.
• Assists in finding additional freelance resources (i.e., Designer, Production Artist, Illustrator, etc.).
• Other Responsibilities
• Communicates with clients when required to ensure their needs are being met. May respond directly to client questions and requests. May initiate conversations with clients to clarify objectives. Advises Creative Director and appropriate project manager of all direct client contact.
• Other responsibilities as assigned.
These job descriptions are examples. Looking for work?Find JobsFind Jobs