The developers at our gaming client in downtown Vancouver are looking for a highly creative and motivated Lighting Artist. In this position, you will be expected to help create visually stunning scenes. You will also be expected to play a role in solving technical problems through collaboration with Art and Engineering.
• Work closely with Art, Cinematic and Programming Teams to create industry leading visuals across a variety of environments, characters and cinematic sequences.
• Craft compelling lighting which supports story, art direction and gameplay objectives.
• Translate conceptual illustrations into outstanding real-time lighting visuals.
• Work with Art and Programming teams to anticipate and solve technical challenges within given constraints and visual requirements.
• Be proactive about seeking feedback and communication with the Art Directors, Lighting Lead, Cinematic Director and other relevant departments.
• Develop and maintain a strong understanding of current industry technology, constraints and trends.
• Participate in portfolio reviews, recruitment interviews, and assist in finding and retaining talent.
• Must have 3-5 years of experience in video games, film/television. Experience shipping AAA games preferable.
• Art-related degree and/or comparable professional experience
• Outstanding knowledge of both real-time and pre-rendered lighting principals (dynamic lighting, light bake solutions, sub surface scattering, HDR, physically based rendering)
• Thorough understanding of how light, shadow and color create tone and mood.
• Exceptional grasp for compositional storytelling and cinematography.
• Understanding of VFX, cinematic or feature film animation production pipelines and workflows.
• Background in real world photography, cinematography and lighting a plus.
• Relevant 2D and 3D software experience - Maya, Photoshop, Proprietary Lighting Tools.
• Ability to work collaboratively - must be open to direction and able to embrace change.
• Unreal Engine or other games engine experience a plus
• Ability to organize and manage time effectively to meet deadlines