Working as part of our client’s variable-document creation team with designers and content specialists, the Document Production Specialist prepares variable-data documents, art files, and data for print output or electronic distribution using Adobe (CS5) InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and variable data software. Being able to hit the ground running is important and, as such, experience in a high volume, corporate environment, specifically with variable data documents, is critical.
The Document Designer is responsible for asset management locally as well as on the designated print servers as specified. This involves periodic backup of assets, removal of old assets from library, updating the asset folders and ensuring only requisite assets are present. Constructing the variable-data document also involves two essential testing responsibilities including: unit testing (the creation of the final print files) and integration testing (insuring that the document, assets, and business rules all combine to meet the variable-data document specifications). Constructing the variable-data documents requires strong analytical and logical reasoning capabilities. Testing, troubleshooting and problem solving are major aspects of the day-to-day operation.
Skills and Experience
• Strong page layout skills and experience using Adobe InDesign (CS5), Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator.
• Experience creating complex variable-data documents using XMPie or other composition platforms like PageFlex, Planet Press, Fusion Pro, or Darwin
• Clear understanding of fonts and font management including cross platform challenges for accurate and effective font and type management.
• Solid understanding of working with various image formats including eps, tiffs, jpeg, bmp, png and pdf files.
• Ability to work with both Mac and PC platforms with a strong understanding of successfully creating documents that work effectively on either platform.
• Pre-press knowledge, especially as it pertains to color workflow and file preflighting is helpful, but not essential.
• Experience using corporate digital asset management applications and digital content management solutions is preferred.
• Effective written and verbal communication skills combined with strong customer service skills are essential.
• Develop and provide user friendly project timelines based on team meeting discussions/feedback
• Work comfortably in Microsoft Office/Excel to provide various documentation to support the project
• Provide solutions or options when tasked with activities from team meetings (photo selection, alternative templates, test possible solutions for unanswered questions and present results to the team.)